My duckling loves Peas!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandcat, Jan 4, 2011.

1. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Wow ive never seen my duckling go mad for food before until i gave it some peas, i was thawing them out in some warm water in the sink and duckling almost jumped in, peeping loudly trying to get those peas, as soon as i put them on the table he raced over to them and gobbled them up, ha ate about 10 of them now has a full tummy and off to sleep:)

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks LOVE peas. I gave them peas from day 1 that I got them, mushed up in water untill they were about 10 days old them they could swallow them whole. When they went in the bath they would stand and wait for peas before having their daily bath. When they moved outside into their duck house I used the word PEAS as a means of.. its bed time... untill they got the hang of it. Now I let them out into the front yard and if they start going down the drive towards the road I shout PEEEEAS and they all come a running back. Its amazing what 1 word can do.

3. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I didn't believe it until i saw it, My cayugas went crazy for peas. They would would here me shake the tuperware and would come charging from where ever they were hiding, it was hilarious

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayugas like a lot of things, but they LOVE peas.

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    yes yes yes I have yet to meet a duck who dislikes peas. My duckings are about 3 and a half to 4 weeks now and they absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOVE mixed greens and spinach too LMAO. But peas win all.

6. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Glad I found this thread.... I have just hatched out my first ducklings ( 12-29) and I was wondering what treats I could give them. I am going to thaw out some peas now and try it. Thanks [​IMG]

Any other treats they like????

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just bought peas for my ducks today, Is it better to offer in their food bowl or in their water?

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I like for mine to play "bobbing for peas" in their pools, Miss Lydia.
    It's fun to watch. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That sounds like fun chick! I'll try it that way and take some pictures.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The wild ones in my area can take or leave them. But, they love birdseed, that's for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by