My duckling sizzles? What?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sharpiewashere, Mar 11, 2016.

1. sharpiewashere

sharpiewashere Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    Just a moment ago, I was getting ready to take my week olds out of the brooder and let them run around the room and stretch their legs. I heard this noise coming from inside the brooder and I thought it was either straw or some water hissing on the heat lamp (which has never happened). Then I noticed this sizzling sound was coming from one of my ducklings. It's almost as if it's gas rumbling, but it's a very loud sizzling sound. He did poop just after I put him down, so he's not constipated. What on earth could it be? I'll try to attach the video from my phone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sounds to me like the duckling's tummy is "chewing" something.

Can you tell us where the duckling goes, has she or he been outdoors, do you give them grit? What do they eat? Could this little one have eaten something like an acorn?

When my ducks eat hickory nuts I can hear the crackling in their tummies. It's odd.

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @sharpiewashere

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yup, just sounds like food grinding in the gizzard. I second Amiga's question, have they gotten grit yet? If so, then mystery solved. :)

5. sharpiewashere

Aug 7, 2015
    I take them outside every day. We live in a sandy area, so that's what I'm thinking it is. I haven't given them any grit.

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hehe that'll do it! Sand particles make nice "starter grit" for baby duck tummies.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I must bookmark this for the video... Brilliant[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thank you very much [​IMG]

8. sharpiewashere

Aug 7, 2015
    Thank you. This is the first time I had ever heard ducklings make such noises. Bizarre little dinosaurs. Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by