My duckling thats hatching.. is this supposed to happen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, So I have had this duckling hatching for over 24 hours, and hasnt made any progress at all. Its beak is sticking out, and one of its feet... but the "membrane" or what ever that thing they get shrink wrapped in is covering its face ( loosely) Is browish yellow, is that normal? Are their feet supposed to be up by their head? I feel like thats why it is having problems.... Its been trying to get out, but it really cant do anything... and Idk what to do.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I just read some advice being given to someone who'd rescued some duck eggs - apparently it can take a l o o o o n g time for them to finish coming out. And it doesn't sound to me like the duckling's position is abnormal, based on pics I've seen.

Let's hope some experienced hatchers weigh in. In the meantime, take a look at this topic. You need to find the posts about how long it takes the babies to actually get out of the shell after they start hatching.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=524418

3. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Well its foot was pretty muych wrapped around its necK I peeled atiny bit of the egg away, and then left him to do the rest himself. and now he is out, and just moving in the bator and stuff.

4. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Thats exactly how mine was in the egg. He didn't make any progress himself. He was unable to lift his head for several hours after he was born as he was all contorted in the egg. He is just fine now, a bit of a crooked neck, but happy and healthy!

5. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Well he is out now. He is peeping and trying to move around, but the leg that was basically rapped around his neck is really idk wierd looking? Kind crooked actually... But he is peeping So I hope its a good sign.

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Hopefully his leg will look normal once he is unfolded . With quail and chickens etc the late hatchers have a lot of foot issues like curled toes that need splinted. Might not be needed with him (without actually seeing him)

7. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    I have posted pictures in the incubation section

8. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    My duck had what appeared to be weak legs too. It took her a few days to recover...I gave her electrolytes for a couple days. I would give her a wait and see approach as this sort of delivery can be quite hard on the joints.

9. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Yeah, I posted pictures in the incubation section... someone said I may need a splint for her... she is peeping though, so I hope thats a sign of strength.
    But she cant lift her head or anything like that, Tomorrow morning when she is dried off I will see how she is doing. When she tries to get up she gets stuck on her back because of her one leg is all messed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by