My ducklings from Ideal! (tons of Pics!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I spent all yesterday constructing a brand spankin new brooder for my new arrivals, since my old one was just not big enough. I got the thing together and went to bed around 4am... Then at 5:30am, before the sun was even up, i got the call from the post office informing me by ducklings have arrived! I warmed up the lamp and put down hand warmers (i put them under a non slip grip mat for extra warmth) got the food/water set up and headed to the post office. Everyone there was dying to see the duckies inside...

I opened up the box to find all 10 ducklings and the 8 chicks were all healthy and doing great! And i got a great mix too! So they are having a fun time running around the new brooder as we speak! We actually only planned on gettign one new duck (since space is an issue for us, we live in a townhome), 3 are going to Goat walker, and Lovely Claudia (also from BYC) has offered to takw the rest of the extra ducklings and the chicks. Though, my fiance is eyeing one of the other ducklings, thinking he might want to keep it. lol... He's already named it, lol... (this is the same chinese man who used to eat ducks, then agreed to my outrageous request of getting a duck, which turned into getting two... and then agreed that ONE more duck would be okay... lol now he wants a forth...)

Here's some pics:
    the whole group-
    [​IMG]

a close up-
    [​IMG]

for some reason the chicks and ducks segragated themselves, lol-
    [​IMG]

This little guy is a total ham, he always looks at the camera... i might keep her [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Four of the chicks, lol, they look like that candy peeps!
    [​IMG]

My finance is saying "mmm chicken nugget" lol
    [​IMG]

The awesome new brooder i made, it has a shelf in the middle to hold their food, vitamin water/ light/ etc:
    [​IMG]

A sleeping magpie-
    [​IMG]

Here's that little ham Swedish again-
    [​IMG]

A little Cayuga (most likely) using a chick butt as a pillow-
    [​IMG]

The duck we're keeping, a little snowy mallard named Sammy-
    [​IMG]

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    They are the cutiest! Boy I want babies![​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awwww! i cant wait to get some duck babies this spring!...hey...whats that green stuff in their bowl???..just curious...thanks, Wendy

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    It's grogel... It was an extra 4 bucks, but it helps them hydrate... i guess it also has some bacteria that's good for them or something... My first set of ducks had it placed in their box and they loved it...

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:wow..i have never heard of it!..interesting!..thanks!

6. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    Those are some little cuties there. Makes me want to order mine now. But it is still on the cold side here in NW Illinois. So I'll just content myself and look at baby pics for right now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Wow, how cool. Looks like they all made the trip Ok. Ideal has great customer service.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am NOT L-o-o-k-i-n-g
    no
    no
    no

ok....they are adorable! [​IMG]

9. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    lo, thank you... i posted a topic about the questionable sex/breed of some of them.. if you guys help can you take a look? that'd be great!

10. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

They look so happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by