1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My ducklings poor feet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Triplell, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I have a duckling that is now 16 hrs old and still can't straighten its feet. The other one that just hatched 4 hrs later is just fine. The first one's feet are curled like in half and keeps trying to do the splits. The 2nd one is just about walking normal just alittle wabbly. Is their something wrong or am I just worrying over nothing? Please help I want this little guy to thrive with its sibblings. This is the first hatch for my breeding pair. Could they have passed something on genitically? I'm so confused[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What is on the bottom of the incubator/ brooder? Splay leg is a condition they can get form being on a slippery surface when they are very little. There are a number of other issues as well- but that sounds most likely at this stage. It can be treated- with taping the legs. That being said - some do take longer than others to find their feet.

3. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    In the incubator they were on the wire, in the brooder they are on news paper covered with paper towels then pine shavings covered with more paper towels.

4. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    How would you tape their legs?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I hope Duckyfromoz can tell you her method. In the meantime, I have read that you can use something soft and not sticky, like thick yarn. Tie a loose loop (it should be able to slide up and down the leg) on each leg, and then connect them with another piece of yarn that is about the proper distance for the legs to be apart.

Nutritionally, a good poultry vitamin mix would be a good idea, since vitamin deficiencies can cause all kinds of problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by