My ducklings weird behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaisastanley, Apr 4, 2018.

1. jaisastanley

jaisastanley In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Can someone explain why my ducking gets mad at me when I leave a room without it but it will not follow me? It also gets into my hair when I'm setting down. I dont understand. If it want to be in the same room as me why does it not follow me into that room?

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your duckling isn't mad. Is it your only duckling? Ducks need the company of their own kind. It wants company and it wants to stay where it's comfortable. They squirm when you are holding them to get away. Instincts tell them to move away from being grabbed.

3. Ducks and chickens are not intelligent animals who can make rational decisions about what they are going to do in the next 30 seconds. But ducks and chickens are extremely adverse to being eaten by varmints so they are not big fans of new surroundings and anyway there is safety in numbers so when you leave the room duck is at first put out by your abandonment of duck but not so much as to make duck follow you into unknown territory were for all duck knows the dreaded duck eating monster lives, at least that is how I read your duck's actions or your duck's lack of action..

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I agree with the comments so far..The Duckling needs another Duckling..You can hang a mirror in the Brooder so it doesn't feel abandoned and alone. I suggest getting it a friend. Ducks are extremely social..

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. jaisastanley

jaisastanley In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I will get another around its age then I know nothing about ducks. This duck was a gift. If I knew I was getting it. I would have done lots of research ahead of time. Until I get another I will put a mirror up does it matter what type of can I put a parrot morrow up until tractor supply gets more ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: