My ducklings were DEAD ON ARRIVAL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenToes, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I ordered ducklings from Murray McMurray last month and they were supposed to arrive today. Usually the post office calls before 7 a.m. when someone has poultry to pick up. When I didn't get the phone call this morning, I was a little worried that the poor things were still in transit. Well, the PO called at 8 this morning to tell me that my ducklings were dead on arrival. [​IMG]

I called Murray McMurray and got through right away and the woman I talked to was awesome - very kind and sympathetic. Within 5 minutes we had the matter resolved. My new ducklings will arrive next week, and will be marked as a special shipment so they'll hopefully survive the trip this time. Keep your fingers crossed! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Awww so sorry your ducks didn't make it - hopefully next week will be happier results!

3. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Thanks. I think they got too hot or too cold during shipping. I just feel like a jinx now, I'm afraid the same thing will happen next week.

4. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Correct me please if I am wrong, but having your entire shipment arrive dead does not happen very often, does it? Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

5. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sure this time around you will have your little quakers. What breed did you order?

6. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    sorry for that loss...it is sad when something like "shipping" causes the demise of little chicks and such.

I never had a dead one arrive --I am lucky. I would order 100 or so and all came alive BUT there was the day or 2 after when a couple would kick the bucket.

nature of the beast I guess....such trauma when being shipped.

hope the next delivery is OK --fingers crossed

7. ChickenToes

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I ordered khaki campbells, mallards, and cayugas. I'm thinking it was someone in the postal service who screwed up and left them sitting outside or something and they got too hot/cold. I feel like a jinx! But hopefully the chances of this happening twice is slim.

8. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG] That is so sad and so unfair. One of mine came DOA last time too. I pray they make it to you safely and soundly this time [​IMG] .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  9. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    This week has been so unbearable hot and if your lucky enough to be in the south humid! I cant imagine ducks in a box for any length of time outside in this weather. We had some in crates yesterday cleaning cages and they were getting overheated. You never know what they go through with shipping.

10. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am so sorry about the horror! [​IMG]

So let us focus on the positive side! [​IMG]

How many of each kind did you order?

I think McMurry is really nice. I ordered my ducks from them, and the lady I talked to was so very sweet and helpful. I ordered 10, 5 Khaki Campbells, and 5 Blue Swedish. (one male and 4 female of each).

All 10 of mine showed up just fine. I was actually amazed that they would ship to me. It takes such a long time to fly here.

I really like the ducks, one is a runt, but not at all sickly. They aren't fully feathered yet, so I am not completely sure how they will turn out. (Must say ten times though, the mess is so much worse than the chickens..WOW!) [​IMG]

I like my Blue Swedes personality a little better than the Campbells. I also really like the fact that the Swedes have two color feet, I think it is cute. I have heard great things about the Cayugas. You will have to tell me how they compare to the Campbells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by