My ducks are laying eggs IN the pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by phelpcd1, Jan 26, 2015.

1. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    My ducks that I got a few months ago are now laying eggs IN the pond. My husband and teen are getting them out and eating them.....I cannot bring myself to do that. It's a very large pond out in the woods so they spend majority of the time in it. How can I get them to lay eggs on the ground? We do feed them on the ground and have a large, nice coop but they don't use it - we also have a dog who sometimes chases them into the pond. And Q2 - how can we tell if they are safe to eat? Other than the obvious - cracks etc.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    First of all keep the dog away from your ducks or train it to leave them alone sooner or later the game will escalate to ducks being killed. I can understand why they lay in the pond now they don't feel safe on land. My ducks like a nice quite place to lay most of mine have already laid by the time I let them out of a morning usually around 7:30 this time of year, Mine are Muscovy so they haven't start to lay yet. but when they are laying they lay in their houses they feel safe there. If I was you I'd have my ducks locked up at night a duck has to be trained to go inside at night but they learn fast, but a duck will not sleep in a house that hasn't a door or the door doesn't get shut because they are prey and don't want to become a preds dinner. I would not eat eggs laid in water bacteria can seep through the shell and could make who ever eats it sick. Unless of course you were right there to get it as soon as it was laid but if it's been in the water for a while i wouldn't eat it.

3. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw this thread and went outside and cleaned my pond and found an egg!

4. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I would also suggest keeping the dog away from them. My ducks are pretty skittish about everything even the slightest change in the run/house. I would create a safe place for them to lay and to be on land and give them time to realize that they are safe. But don't wait till they are use to the pond being a nesting area :)

2 people like this.
  5. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Well, yesterday and today, we found several eggs actually on the bank. We found a bunch that were obviously raided by racoons or something too. They are laying at night, which is odd because our dog is kenneled all day, and only runs loose at night. We actually took our old city chicken coop and turned it into a duck house, but the ducks don't go in it. I was feeding them in it, until we took in the dog. He doesn't bother them too much, but every now and then, he will chase them into the pond. I would love to get them to go into the duck house at night - it has doors obviously and they'd be safe, and might lay their eggs in there. How can I encourage them to go in at night?

6. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I had to herd mine in a couple nights in a row to get them to go in their house. Now when they see me coming every night they all run into the house. Other ppl use treats also peas etc to get them to go in.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks herd real well so what i do is use a long bamboo pole you can use broom handles mop handles etc, some use 2 I use one but you start behind them and slowly begin walking them where you want them to go, it's something that takes time to get down for you and the ducks so you might want to get help for the first week until the ducks figure out what you are wanting them to do they learn fast though but you have to move slowly they don't like to be hurried and may scatter if hurried. But herd them into their house use some kind of yummy treat to reward them once inside, only thing about giving them something to eat though is they always need water when eating so you might have to forget the treat unless you provide water. If the coop has fencing around it once inside the fence you could put snack down close to the door to their house then after they have had their reward for herding you could get them the rest of the way inside close the door make sure it's secured with bolt of somekind and say goodnight till morning. If you give them plenty of shaving or straw what ever you use most ducks will use this to lay their eggs in. I even help them out by placing a piece of scrap plywood up with screws so they can have a place to themselves to lay their eggs you can even just lean it up against the wall and secure just something for them to get under to lay. Just remeber to make this work you have to always be there to get them inside before dark. Once raccoons figure there is a good meal there they won't stop at eggs, they are one of the worst preds of ducks probably right up there with domestic dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by