My Ducks are like Dogs!

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
This is my first time ever having ducks and well they act just like little dogs! I let mine free range in my yard during the day and whenever I look out the kitchen window, they are looking back at me. If I open the back door they come running up the back steps (which I didn't think their fat little butts could make it up the steps
lau.gif
) They follow me all around the yard, they are following the neigbors around their yard (they are just in love with them and have their own names for each one) and when people pull up to house they run out front and start Quacking at them until they are acknowledged. I have even noticed that they start quacking really loud right before my DH pulls up from coming home from work! Some days I think they are smarter than my dogs, at least they stop quacking when he gets out of the truck. Can't say the same for the dogs, they keep barking even after he sits down on the couch
roll.png
. They are constantly begging for treats, I've caught them trying to get in my pockets for snacks. And to top it all off, my one duck Plucky a Magpie, has figured out how to leap into our above ground pool.
My dog like ducks
78308_dscn1861.jpg

My chickens do the same thing. They can be half way across the yard, but if they hear the back door open, they run to the back porch looking for treats...at one point, they even tried flying up to the top railing on the porch. Put an end to that quick!
My other 1/2 says he needs to get video of them (& the goats & the cows) following me around. It's like I'm the pied piper or something--too funny!

Quote:
My Guineas will follow me around the yard. They have figured out that if they are near me other critters don't try to eat them.
smile.png
If I move onto the porch with the ducks, they just have to fly up there to see what is going on and bother the ducks for a few min, then they fly down.. It is amusing.

Cute picture!! I am pretty sure mine think that they are part dog as well. They run to the gate when I pull up after work just like the dogs do. They run to the sliding glass door when I open it up when I get home from work. I go out in the yard and call them they all come running. Sometimes the ducks and the dogs curl up under the same tree. A few times when the dogs have ran to the back fence to bark, I have seen the ducks run over there too just to look through the slats in the fence to see what's going on. It's pretty funnny. They like their treats just as much as the dogs do and they expect it just like the dogs do!

Quote:
lol.png
my 2 scovy ducklings are the same way! they are a month old and i've had them since the day they've hatched. they're spoiled and i love them
love.gif
they even love to cuddle and sleep in my lap
lau.gif
every time i go outside to take them out they come running and peeping
lol.png
this is my first time owning ducks and i'm really enjoying their cute little selves!

Back
Top Bottom