My ducks are looking a bit tatty

HortenseCumberbatch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Hi All. I got my ducks back in the beginning of June. They were just babies. Now they look pretty much fully grown and look like they have all their grown-up feathers. But here's the thing. They seem to be losing their feathers. Especially the Pekin. Is it normal to be molting or losing feathers this time of year? It seems like they just got their feathers so I thought it a bit strange. They eat game bird food and have access to forage. I don't think they're bored and acting out or anything either. They seem well entertained. What's most noticeable is the hundreds of white feathers laying about the garden. Ideas?

Normal growing stage. They're getting their adult plumage. They'll look tatty for a while, and your back yard's going to look like a feather bed exploded. But they'll grow in that gorgeous adult plumage soon enough. Congrats.
smile.png

Those white Pekin feathers really stand out against the grass, too. I know all of mine molt, but the black and brown feathers aren't as noticeable.

I had the same reaction thinking they had adult feathers at that point and then all of a sudden a pillow burst on my lawn. They are now 15 weeks and still molting (since eight). I'm literally making a pillow. Is the Pekin getting a bit yellow? Mine did and can still see the contrast against the wind feathers they have yet to lose. They are kind of buttercreamy!

Baby ducks get their first real feathers in about 8 weeks old.... then they molt pretty promptly and grow their first adult feathers! They'll be done soon at their age, but perfectly normal. Next spring they'll start again!
smile.png

Quote:
The Pekin is getting a bit yellow. I woke up one day and he was all white and I thought "hmm, when did that happen" and here he goes turning yellow again.

Back
Top Bottom