my ducks are serious jerks. naughty jerks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    The ducks are penned for today. They were naughty and get a time out. Hopefully it will chill the attitude.
    I was Tilling the chicken run. I had the door open and the ladies hopped out to attack the grass and weeds in the yard, no problem, they were stalked by the chicken cats, who ran as soon as a chicken looked at them. Then the ducks noticed them. More the female Pekin. And she decided she didn't want them in the yard, the yard SHE never uses. When the ducks are loose they have a very small roaming area, despite having full access to the yard.
    Anyway, she headed after the poor little buff orpington chick, and pinned the BO to the ground by her neck. By that I mean the duck laid her neck over the chick and pushed it down to the ground and held it there. Didn't peck, just pinned it. little mean jerk.
    When the ducks are loose, they typically head over to the chicken run and lay there staring at the chicks.

So ducks got put in time out in their run.

[​IMG]

I've finally gotten a half decent picture of the green/blue iridescence D'Artagnan is getting on his wings.
    I also noticed as he loses feathers the new ones are coming in really dark brown. What kind of runner would you call him?

[​IMG]

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Yeah, ducks can be hugely territorial. I have learned to monitor them really closely when introducing new chickens to the yard. My one duck, that has since passed, nearly killed a young cockrel she took a dislike to.

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:They aren't normally together, the ducks have free run of the yard usually, and hte chickens are stuck in their run. It's funny because of the ducks do go into the chicken yard they are sweet and polite, well as much as ducks that are jerks are. The chicks and ducks were raised in the same brooder, then when moved to the yard they shared the coop. Then I build a new coop for the chickens and moved the ducks in there until I got the duck run done.
    When I first evicted the ducks to their run, when they escaped they would run right to the coop and lay down next to it and stay there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by