My ducks are starting to sit already?? (And a bonus question)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by casslarrabee225, Nov 14, 2011.

1. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    My ducks are about 6 1/2 months old. I have two mix breeds (Khaki/Cayuga) one male, one female and two pure Khaki's one male, one female. The mix breed female started laying about a week before the other pure khaki did. (About two weeks ago) She has laid one consistently since then. The pure Khaki has laid three that I know of and it's been: lay one day, not the next, lay another, not the next, ect. No when I get up I see she is sitting on the two that her and the other female laid this morning. Should I let her do her thing and sit? I live in Maine and we have harsh winters I don't know if it's a good idea for the little ones. They will be fertile for sure...no doubt about. Help please!

Also, My female mix will often get on top of my pure khaki female in the pool and attempt to "do what the boys do". She tries once then get off of her and they just keep playing in the pool...is this normal???

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I wouldnt let her. I just hatched some.ducklings, and i know it was a bad idea, but they are pretty cute, and will be inside the house until they are old enough to go outside. So I wouldnt.....

The girl getting on top of the girl is what ducks call "playing" [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I am also I Maine. I would let her hatch some only if you have the space to set up a brooder. It is getting late for ducklings, so even I you want mom to raise them you will need a place to put mom and the babies with a light for heat. You shouldn't let her raise them with the other ducks because thy might try to kill the ducklings.
    Also, I have khaki campbells. I've found that this breed will sit on the eggs as long as needed, but they are horrible mothers. One of mine kicked out every duckling that hatched. Another one let them hatch, then started killing them. I ended up letting her sit on them until they were 1-2 days away from hatching, then I put them in the incubator to hatch.

4. casslarrabee225

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks guys! I definitely don't want her to hatch any yet. But wasn't sure if it would make her less likely to sit again if I stop her now. I have a big shed and coop that I will set a brooder up in, in the spring. We have a incubator with an automatic egg turner that I intend on using for hatching. I had A LOT of fun when I hatched the two pure Khaki's I have. [​IMG]
    Quackers are the best pets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:they sure are the best! I just hatch four ducklings myself [​IMG]

6. casslarrabee225

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop

Didn't mean to say the best PEST. You replied right before I edited it. LOL!

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Didn't mean to say the best PEST. You replied right before I edited it. LOL!

Oh no worries! I knew you didnt mean pest! [​IMG] I have to say I wont ever order ducklings again! Only hatching eggs [​IMG] it such a wonderful sight seeing them push themselves out of the eggs shell! [​IMG] wont ever forget when my baby cracker hatched [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. casslarrabee225

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh absolutely! It is so amazing. I had to assist one of them out of the shell. She got her beak caught on a jagged piece of shell and was crying and crying everytime she tried to move to get it unstuck. Then everytime she tried to keep zipping she would cry in pain. I had to finish zipping for her cause she was getting herself stuck and worn out. I'd like to think I saved her from dying from the struggle out. It's amazing to be a part of the process like that. I am a life long Momma Duck from here on out. I can't picture my life without any ducks. [​IMG]
    They have my heart!

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2 sad but beautiful story! And you did save her! [​IMG] I will always have ducks as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by