My ducks are training my chickens...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fishnet1971, May 20, 2011.

1. my 3 5 week old Pekins have been having a ball in the really really wet spring we are having. Rain almost daily here in Ohio, flooded everything. So I have a HUGE flooded 'pond' in my front yard from all the rain, about knee high water, 100 X 150 just waiting for someone to come and play in it. I was so excited to take them to their first 'big' water. I got them out of the pen, they followed me up to the water area (peas are a wonderful item [​IMG] ) They kind of looked at it strange with that cute little cocked head look. then went at it! beaks into the grass, water, and mud flying. It was absollutely precious!!!!! I sat down in a lawn chair to watch them and up struts my favorite hen May. She watched them for a few minutes, looked at me sideways as well, bawked at me a few times (she has been a little jealous of them the last few days, they being new and young have gotten more attention than she) and preceeded to walk right into the darn 'puddle' and start trying to pick for worms in the water.

I fell off my lawn chair laughing. I dropped camera in the water trying to get it open to take a photo of it 'cause I was laughing so hard. Now soaking wet, i had to see how this was going to go so I walked up to her and put my fingers down in the water at a piece of grass to say 'here honey, here's food!" she went for it. shot water out her little nose, and found a darn worm. Said ducks of course were watching with an interesting look. She actually was rooting for worms in 8 inches of water. okkkkkkkkkkk.... duckies and May May are now cool with each other. May is soaked, has water dripping off her comb, and looks at me completely innocently like what she is doing is completely normal in a chickens world. I couldnt stand it, I picked her up dried her off a little with my shirt, and walked her to dry ground.

You should have seen the look on Birds face when he came around the corner and found here soaked, bawking, and running BACK to the water.......

Life is just never going to be the same since the ducks have arrived...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Cluckette

Cluckette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Stapleton, AL
    [​IMG] Never a dull moment eh? Funny...I'm so thankful for the laughs my chickens & ducks give me.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I would have died laughing too. Would love to have seen it.

4. I have a few photos that I took with my cell phone afterwards, If I can get them sent over I will post them. I have a really cute kiddie pond that I put in for the ducks last week as well. My ducks are in with my chickens pen, I am just wondering if she is going to get in there as well. That would be totally hysterical. Although, come to think of it, she wasnt concerned with the water at all when I gave her a bath a few months back either.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Love it

6. ok, here is a few photos from that day. I was able to dry my camera and believe it or not, they survived! not many good ones.

this is when they got to the little puddle in my yard... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was deep enough to swim in!

[​IMG]

and here comes May, full blast to our puddle of fun!

[​IMG]

and just here, she is getting into water. wish i had some of when i fell in laughing when she was in withus.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by