My duck's belly is bald?!?! Why?

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
Today, after her bath, we noticed my Ollie, a blue runner, was bald all on her belly. She had been diapered today (so we handled her bottom region, I even felt the feathers there when sliding in the diaper insert) and we did not notice any balding until she was in the tub. This is Ollies first time being diapered in a very long time (months). she seems to have eaten the feathers as there were none in the tub. She is isolated with only one other duck right now who we've observed and is NOT plucked her. I'm pretty sure she did it to herself. Any ideas on why? I'm going to call my vet in the morning but I wanted to get some ideas before I take her in... Any help would be appreciated.

18860_img_0715.jpg

Does it have anything to do with the feces on the feathers while wearing the diaper. Your duck may have eaten something that caused his feces to be caustic and they washed off during her bath, but I'm not sure. I hope he gets better soon.

Last edited:
She only wore the diaper once in the past six months, and it was only for a few hours. She went immediately into the tub afetrwards. My diaper harnesses are designed to keep poop off of her feathers... She was just roaming my workspace, whixh she's only allowed in duck safe areas where the floor is clean and there is nothing they can eat that isn't in their pen and duck approved... hence why I am so baffled...

they also have a very strict duck diet...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom