My ducks foot is very hurt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducky14528, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ducky14528

ducky14528 New Egg

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi! I have a male blue Swedish duck. His leg is swollen and a bit warm. he limps and stands like a Indian runner! Also, He has a hard time walking and standing. He uses his winger for support. Hes also lost a lot of weight, What should I do?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Well, if you have a poultry vet, you could take him to the vet. If I were trying to assess one of mine with the problem, I'd start with checking the feet for cuts or bumblefoot, then check the legs for scrapes or wounds. Next I'd suggest carefully feeling the joints all the way up to the hip, trying to determine if a joint is out of place or a tendon is swollen.

Of course, a wound would need antibiotic treatment. A joint problem might need him to stay in water to support his weight -- which for me would mean bringing him inside somewhere and putting him in a shallow kiddie pool I keep for my ducks or in the bathtub. Treatment for a joint/tendon problem, short of immobilizing it which has it's own set of problems attached, would be hot and cold packs alternating just like for a human.

You might find he strained a muscle, and will get better in a few days on his own.

Healthy duck thoughts to you!

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

How old is your duck?

Is there a wound, or is it just swolen?

Can you take your duck to the vet?

We need more info.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. ducky14528

ducky14528 New Egg

Dec 20, 2009
    He is 9 months old. there is no wound its just swollen and I dont have a vet [​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Does it seem to be a break? If so can you make a splint for him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by