My ducks love my roo

catfish queen

Hatching
Jun 11, 2015
Illinois
Hi, silly question, but I'm new. My blue splash Orpington rooster has been marking up 1 of my hens back , pretty bad. So he is now free range through the day. He stays right around coop. It has given her time to heal. At night if I don't get out there right away, roo waited by the door andso does my 2 roeun ducks. The ducks won't go in coop until they know roo is in:) are ducks always so protective?

Hi, silly question, but I'm new. My blue splash Orpington rooster has been marking up 1 of my hens back , pretty bad. So he is now free range through the day. He stays right around coop. It has given her time to heal. At night if I don't get out there right away, roo waited by the door andso does my 2 roeun ducks. The ducks won't go in coop until they know roo is in:) are ducks always so protective?

Welcome to BYC! Ducks can be protective. Hens will usually be protective over their ducklings and drakes can become protective of their hens.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but please do drop by the duck section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
I'm sure the duck keepers there will be able to help you with all your duck questions.
How many hens do you have? Often if a roo is damaging hens during mating it means he does not have enough hens with him so he starts over breeding the ones he does. A roo can easily handle 10 hens, this should then stop the over breeding.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Roos will also overbreed the most docile hens because they are easier to catch. You could get them hen aprons will project their backs somewhat & allow feathers to re-grow

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom