My ducks seem terrified of me. Help!

Bammers

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2021
My ducks are 8 weeks old now and I have had them since day one. They have received constant attention, food, water, shelter, and seem to be healthy and close to fully grown. I used to be able to handle them with no problem but at about week 4, they wanted no touching and definitely no handling. They eat from hands without any issues and will lay down near near me and even fall asleep. I spend a lot of time with them and the chickens who share a run. I speak softly, stay at their level, walk around the pen slowly without scaring anyone. They are the same age as the chickens and there are no problems between them. Chickens stayed as tame as can be. This is my first group of ducks so I am wondering if this is normal and and is there something I can do to reduce the fear they seem to have of being touched or handled.

Attachments

• 9E644EAB-BC2C-4BFB-89C1-287CEC03ED04.jpeg
    9E644EAB-BC2C-4BFB-89C1-287CEC03ED04.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 13C04639-6345-4B85-AE35-C631F223246D.jpeg
    13C04639-6345-4B85-AE35-C631F223246D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I think you are doing a great job of not scaring them. Keep that up!

I have heard of many ducks going through a teenager phase where they get scared of things and then calm down again later.
Well that makes me feel better. I love them already and don’t want them stressed or scared.

My ducks acted like I was godzilla every morning when I took them outside. Once I was able to keep them outside and they can safely wander around the smaller of our yards, they have become less skiddish. Only time they will let me give them attention is lifting the out of the duck house in the morning.

I find bribing them with dried soldier worms has made them associate me with snacks. At 13 weeks they are finally not running from godzilla when ever I go outside.

Back
Top Bottom