My ducks were killed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Roudolph, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Roudolph

Roudolph New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    I need some help from all the duck lovers out there. 10 of our 11 Kahki Cambell's were killed by our neighbor's dog last week. They were not just livestock to us.... They were our pets. The Department of Animal Welfare wants us to put a price on them and we can't.... Has anyone been in this situation that can help us????

2. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    3 of my ducks were killed by some ones dog about 6 months ago but we never could prove who's dogs they were even though we had a good idea........I just wanted to tell you i am sorry for your loss and i know how hard it is because they we a big part of my family and our neighborhood tooo wish i had advice as far as animal welfare is concerned but we never could hold anyone responsible good luck and sorry again[​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

It's impossible to price a beloved pet...

At the same time, if it's a dollar amount they want, you could add up the cost of the duck, the cost of the feed, the number of hours you have cared for them times at least minimum wage, the cost of any vet care they had. Because that is what you had invested in them.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Amiga. Basically they want to know what the value of the ducks would have been if you were to have sold them. I had a neighbor that a couple of dogs had killed off all but one chicken who had somehow managed to escape. The dogs also killed the rabbits that they had, and the 2 baby goats. Animal control picked up the dogs that did it, and the owners of the dogs paid my neighbor back for the lost livestock. The dogs were never seen around here again.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Oh my gosh so sorry :hugs that is a huge loss
    I agree with amiga too

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by