My ducks wont go in the coop at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by callmeRISH, Nov 6, 2014.

1. callmeRISH

callmeRISH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    i have 3 welsh harlequin hens that go in their cage atnight but dony go into the coop, do you think its to warm in there (im in wisconsin) because they do have a heat lamp in there.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not knowing the setup, you could be correct about the heat. It could also be a fire hazard.

Do you have photo's?

Sometimes there is something else going on - with the bedding, perhaps?

3. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Have you tried enticing them with treats? I put a bowl of peas in mine and then physically picked them up and put them in. There was a bit of a kerfuffle, but the peas kept the first ones busy while I was getting the last one. After about three nights of this, they started going in on their own for the most part. Now I wait until they go in for the night, lock up their door, then give them their peas through the big door.
    Works most of the time, but last night's moon was so bright, they wouldn't go in. So sometimes, I still have to pick them up.

I've got 2 Welshies and one runner and I don't use a heat lamp at all. My coop is really sturdy and I insulated the walls, so I figured with lots of straw, they should be ok.

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks typically prefer sleeping outside, even in bad weather. You need to physically move them in their every night until they get into the rhythm of it.

5. callmeRISH

callmeRISH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you
    i can try to get a picture up but it would be on sunday the bedding is straw and im going to guess its just they dont want to go in like you said but ill try turning off the lamp one of these nights and seeif they goo in then

6. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I am having same issue with mine, but when I put them in they just come back out, but I heard you can not shut them in because of no water, but I am worried about frostbit in winter!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes I lure my ducks with treats. They like peas and sprouted wheat berries.

8. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Mohicanhase, I head that it was ok to do so, so I do lock mine in at night. They seem to do fine. I don't let them have food or water in the house at night. Them seemed a little hungry that first morning, but now they know they should fill up on dinner when it starts to get dark. Plus they always get their bedtime snacks, too. I'm too worried about nighttime predators to leave them in just the pen at night. [​IMG]

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    they can go without water and food if they are old enough. I took the food and water away at night when they were are 8 weeks old. A very happy day in my house since the mess was gone.

10. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Take the heat lamp out. They don't need it if they are away from drafts and have plenty of bedding. It's a huge fire hazard too and it makes me nervous to have straw and heat together without close supervision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by