My ducks won't lay!!

kazzylou

Hatching
Mar 1, 2015
Bedfordshire uk
My ducks are 10 months old when they started laying it was regular and now they won't lay at all they had stopped and then they started again but not regularly and now it has stopped again could this be because of the weather or are they just having a break?....I was hoping to breed them this year but have no eggs to hatch :(

Do you get seasonal weather change where you live? Most poultry slow down or stop laying during the winter. If this isn't the case, then make sure that the ducks have food, water, and a comfortable place to stay 24/7. Also, have there been any major changes for the ducks recently? (ex: new feed, illness, etc.) If all of these are not a problem, then I will need some more information about your ducks, unless someone else has another idea of what the problem might be.

We are just coming into the beginning of spring now they layed through nearly all of the winter they have fresh water and food everyday they roam around the garden they have always got a clean bed.....we have just got them a bigger bed to sleep in and moved them in 3 days ago but they had already stopped laying before all the disruption and they seem to like the new house they have as they have much more room the old was was big enough but saw the new one and couldn't ressist it. All feed is the same we always buy the same brand as its what we gave them from a week old just changed according to age but they have had this for months and been fine with it and no illness they are all nice and healthy ...they are currently changing feathers I'm guessing because of the weather change?

Whenever they completely finishing molting they should start laying. So a few weeks? Most ducks do take time off when there is less daylight and then start back up in the spring.

Hi hope OK to asks question here?? I have a duck she is nearly 1year old, but she has not layer at all, my other ducks are all laying, not sure what to do!! I have left an egg in the house to see if that will help!! Is there anything else I can do??????
Emma

Hi hope OK to asks question here?? I have a duck she is nearly 1year old, but she has not layer at all, my other ducks are all laying, not sure what to do!! I have left an egg in the house to see if that will help!! Is there anything else I can do??????
Emma

If your season is just entering Spring like mine is, she might just be coming into laying season. So you may just need a few more weeks of patience. But, You can put that duck into a warm float bath/soak and gently massage her abdomen to make sure she is not in early stages of egg yolk peritonitis. You can also add calcium to her diet the way @Amiga does: (2-3 Tablespoons of liquid Calcium Gluconate to one gallon of water) and/or sprinkle brewer's yeast atop of a good quality layer feed. Good Luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom