My ducks won't sleep in their house.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Leggo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Leggo

Leggo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Hello,

I only have two ducks but they very rarely will sleep in their coop at night! Last night and the night before they were in when the sun went down but now today they are back sleeping underneath the bushes(as usual). This is irritating as I lose eggs and waste time and money keeping the coop in good condition. When I clean the coop ENTIRELY with a complete bed of fresh shavings, they will sleep in there for about two nights, and then they go back to the bush.

Have you any suggestions?

Kindest regards,
    Gary

2. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    What does your coop look like?

Mine is a house with a door that I can close and lock.

3. Leggo

Leggo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
  4. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Does that ramp double as a door? Couldn't you just herd them in and close the ramp?

5. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    hmm maybe the bush has something the coop doesnt call me crazy but how about take out the bushes and put in there

6. Leggo

Leggo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    The ramp doubles as a door. They are under a thick bush, I can't get them out(plus it's dark by the time they're underneath, I could maybe do it earlier but my Indian Runner is a nightmare to catch!).

And I don't think they are in the bush for the actual bush, I think they are just under the shelter.

7. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    Ducks are the opposite of Chickens. The ducks I have had like to be all snuggled in some where cozy. Where Chickens like to have room to move around.
    I have a large camper we gutted for the birds. The ducks found a spot under the sink on the bottom shelf that they like to sleep. There is barley enough room in there for the three of them but that is where they like to sleep. Maybe they still feel the floor space is too big for them.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'll be honest leaving your ducks out after dark is asking for trouble, thats probably why they are already under a bush they are frightened and feel the bush is giving them protection, I think your going to be very sad one of these mornings when you go out and they are dead or gone because they were left unprotected. Go out before it gets so dark you can see and herd them into their house, it's a great looking house and if they are able to go in before dark will get use to it, It is your responsibility to make sure they are put up and safe before dark. Start by feeding them inside giving them fresh water too, yep they will make a mess but after a week you can put the food and water right outside the door not inside anymore, then put it up till morning so it won't attract mice/preds. give them something very special in the evening before you put them up[ Dried meal worms are a great treat] and they only get them right before bed. If you work with your ducks they will be going inside with you walking behind with your arms stretched out in no time. Ducks herd easily once they get the message of what you want them to do.

9. wildpeas

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Well, the ducks won't go into the house without training because to them a bush is a more instinctual shelter than anything man-made. Really if the house is left open at night it provides less shelter than the bush as any predator can just walk right in and help themselves. It's a really nice little duck house and it looks like it would keep them safe if used properly. My ducks readily go inside their house because I feed them peas inside and I put them up before dark. Yes, it does require a commitment of my time and planning now that the days are getting shorter and I have to move our own dinner around to accommodate the animals feeding time. I feel its worth it though to see all my ducks each morning at dawn when I let them back out. Good luck with your ducks.

10. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    We lost 1 Runner (to a hawk) while he/she was free ranging this summer during full daylight when I was at home. I was in and out of the house a ton too. We talked about and looked into ducks for about 6 weeks and then brought 8 home. We raised our Pekin ducklings in the tub at first. When my boyfriend insisted they remain outside after they were older, I made him fashion a hillbilly coop. I would not go to bed without them locked up at night.

We killed one raccoon and one opossum (NOCTURNAL) near them at night this summer. We felt a bit guilty but the urge to protect our ducks influenced our decision to dispatch them. I just found an opossum lurking outside their pen (inside of which is a coop) last night or the night before. I chased him off. I got my boyfriend and he got the pellet gun but the opossum had already run into the woods. We searched with spotlights but didn't find him.

Hawks and eagles will eat them. I have read horror stories people (even those with coops or pens) shared about predators reaching through fencing and ripping their live ducks to death. Even skunks (NOCTURNAL) can kill young ducks. Many animals are attracted by the smell of duck eggs or their feed. I also read fox and raccoons have gone on killing rampages where they killed the entire flock and only ate one or two. I also read that owls (NOCTURNAL) will silently swoop down and decapitate a duck and eat the head and leave the decapitated body behind. The saddest story I read was posted by a woman who had allowed opossum to live under her deck for at least 2 years. Then, suddenly, something kept squeezing into her chicken coop and maiming and killing chickens. Several days later she caught the opossum red handed with blood all over him next to a freshly injured chicken.

I can't imagine the horror of finding my babies ripped up and half dead or dead. I would be very saddened. Even a hillbilly coop slapped together is better than nothing. I don't leave feed in their coops at night any longer. Some animals are more interested in their feed. However, I do not want to take the chance that they would find a duck dinner more inviting. I plan to build a much better enclosed pen/run and coop this fall. They are such sweet companions. They deserve protection.

Many animals have teeth. The ducks do not. How can they defend themselves adequately? The sad reality is they cannot. Imagine a small hungry animal with teeth faced up against a duck. What can a duck do.....waddle over, flap its wings and "beak" the animal with its bill? Fat lot of good that would do. I imagine too as the vegetation dies and winter comes, predators will become even hungrier and the ducks will look even more appetizing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by