my dumbest move yet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by onthespot, Jan 17, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    today I tried to move a hovabator that was full of marans eggs (with a sprained wrist that is in a brace right now) and managed to dump the whole load of copper black and blue/black/splash marans eggs, (yep, 42 of them) onto the floor. If you are thinking of some such move, DON'T!!! Get someone to help you, remove the eggs first, or fer crying out loud, just leave the incubator where it was! (At least that is what keeps running through my head all day....) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's really awful. I hope they were just starting.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    they varied from just five days to fifteen days... [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did you loose them all? [​IMG]

5. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    dont know what to say that would make you feel and better. Sorry that happened to your chicks [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yeah, about ninety percent were broken, and the other ones were all covered with yolk, blood and whites, and had been dropped three feet onto the floor with semi developed chick inside. I can't imagine any of those three or four making it, so I just chucked the whole mess. The best part was that luckily I had a tarp on the floor over the carpet "just in case" and BOY did that come in handy today! ( I was thinking spilling a few ounces of water, a few crumbs of chick starter, stuff like that. Oh well, at least a bad situation didn't get WAY worse, thanks to the tarp.)

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Messed up mine once like that. I will never move my 'bator with eggs in it again. Can you replace these eggs? From your hens? Mailed? I feel bad, sad for your loss. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm really sorry, if you were here I would give you a big hug. [​IMG]

9. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry that happened to you. What a rotten day. Hopefully you will be able to replace the eggs soon.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Yeah, the eggs were from my own hens, thank goodness. My BBS laid five eggs today, a personal best for my flock of six hens! I also hatched my first splash and blue babies from that pen today! The day wasn't a total bust. I am thankful it was not mailed eggs, and that the eggs were all mine, not part a friend's, which I sometimes hatch for friends too. Tomorrow I am going to get six SQ Black Jersey Giant eggs for a friend. She has been waiting about three months for this person's flock to start laying. She pre-paid back in September? I am glad I learned this lesson today instead of tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by