My dwarf got his top beak half pecked off this morning PLEASE HELP

virgooftheearth

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2016
Methuen Ma.
I am new to this site, I wish I were saying hello in a different way but that's okay,
U fortunately were having a prob, I woke this morn to my dwarf chicken with his upper beak pecked almost off, is what is left going to heal so she can eat again? She's trying g to get but cannot yet. I will give her the chicken electrolytes etc to keep her going. But until then, wjat do I do,? Just keep her speprated? Look at photo. I an utterly devistated..
This is one of the first tines they all perched together at night.. so I took away the 5 mo old chickens cage that I had left for them inside the coop. I left it for safety. But since they all bunked up, I figured the pecking order was over. I guess not huh??? Somebody please answer me, help me, what can I clean her wound with?

Last edited:

Here's a pic of her beak. Will she get better? What can I feed her until she can learn to feed herself?

Welcome To BYC.

It may heal given time and barring any infection setting in.
Try giving soft foods like wet poultry feed, scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna or mackerel.
Electrolytes are good for a few days.

If she can't eat or drink well you may need to tube feed here. I have provided links to tube feeding for you.

If would leave the wound alone. Keep him separated so you can monitor him.

Tube Feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding POST 15&17 show where to put tube or syringe/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1119168/how-to-open-a-chickens-mouth

Inspiration:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

The closeup will show its damage, she's split on the other side but is eating mow, I hope she doesn't get infection, I have been applying neosporin w pain relief to help her tough exterior...
I can see she's just so sore but we're thinking g she will survive this. Will update

Beaks do grow throughout thier lives, that's why you will often see then swiping thier Beaks on the ground especially stones if they can. So that's always a plus. I would guess similar to smashing your fingertips the further back the damage goes the more chance of a permanent damage. But hopefully she heal well. Keep her separate at least until she is eating and drinking well on her own.

The closeup will show its damage, she's split on the other side but is eating mow, I hope she doesn't get infection, I have been applying neosporin w pain relief to help her tough exterior...
I can see she's just so sore but we're thinking g she will survive this. Will update
Use PLAIN neosporin, not one with a pain reliever in it.

If you feel like he needs some pain relief you can make an aspirin solution to give him.
ASPIRIN SOLUTION
Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.
Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.
REFERENCE: http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

It's good that he is eating a bit, make sure he stays hydrated.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Ok update.. she is doing great!!

The only thing that's bothering her and the thing I havnt gotten a Strait answer to is, when can I let her free with the other chicks? I let her go for like a half hr a few times just yesterday to see if they picked on her and she was cuddling on her cage mates like she hadn't seen them in 100 years, rubbing her head on them snuggling in dirt piles together, and nobody picked on her beak. It is not raw, it has a dry blood covering that I have tried and tried to remove and came to terms it's just her beak color w dryblood.
So, it looks so much better,
I won't use pain relief.
She is okay. Up and running, drinking g water eating fruit greens and pellets all set I believe.. just wonder if I should wait till she's fully healed to release her to the flock..
And, is it because she is a dewarf, that she got picked on? Or just reg old pecking order gone bad in the coop which caused this injury?

The damage is serious. Periodic treatment of lower mandible will be required so bird can continue to eat, The upper mandible / bill will not regrow bill horn owing to extent of damage. I do not medicate with such damage.

You need to concentrate on keep bird in good weight which means adequate intake of quality feed. Bird will not be able to pick up fine particulates of ground unless lower bill is trimmed aggressively to match upper. I do not advise you to so. Start feeding bird coarse pellets. Also a wetted feed that is doughy is a good option. Birds I have with similar damage require trimming to lower mandible roughly once per year.

Damage like that was not caused by pecking. Either bird panicked while bill was caught in a crevice or a rare infection was involved.

Yes, we thought of that also that she was being chased around the coop and paniked.. I will trim her lower beak. But she IS eating and picking up food and drinking.. I spend hours a day tending to her and she seems to be doing bettet.
Thank u for the advice it will be well advised and taken into serious concideration..
How is the proper way to trim the bottom bill? If u could..
although reguardless of how she got hurt, (which I agree w u)It's the aftermath I am concerned for, but she WILL BE OKAY..!!SHE'S A TROOPER;0)
I'LL NAME HER "Unique" ;0)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom