My dyed Easter chick.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2ManyCritters, Apr 13, 2009.

1. 2ManyCritters

2ManyCritters New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Queen Creek, Az
    Can anyone help me identify this chick? Her wing feathers are coming in white. I lost her buddy earlier today. I don't know what happened to her/him. I have no idea if this is a rooster or a hen. I haven't mastered the art of chick sexing. Lol I really hate the fact that these chicks are dyed. I think it's hurts them. Thank you for your help.
    Judy

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't think it hurts them but you've either got a leghorn, a white rock or a Cornish X.

Too early to tell the gender. Keep us posted and we want pics!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Cherry Egger?? [​IMG]

4. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Technically The Dye does not hurt the chicks. You probably have a White leghorn or Cornish Rock chick there. Most likely it will turn out to be a rooster since Easter Dyed chicks usually are roos. Do you have a Brooder box set-up for the little guy with a heat lamp and all that good stuff? There is plenty of info on this site to teach you how to raise chicks!

I love the color of your little one by the way... Pink is a fab color! [​IMG]

Oh yeah, If I were you, try and go to the Feed store and pick up a friend or two or three for your little one!!! [​IMG]

5. 2ManyCritters

2ManyCritters New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Queen Creek, Az
    redhen, does that mean her eggs will come out red if indeed she is a hen? LOL

Mahonri, I hope the dye is harmless. I will keep you posted on this little guy with plenty of pics. [​IMG]

I hope she makes it. She is with me most of the time.
    Judy

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

Pretty please?, with an Easter chick on top?

7. 2ManyCritters

2ManyCritters New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Queen Creek, Az
    Thank you Lanissa86. This is a sad story in regards to these chicks. I had an Egyptian Fayoumis chick that I bought from my feed store and it was the only chick left in the brooder. My husband wanted to buy it to try to save it. She didn't look good at the time. They had no other chicks at the time. Two days later they got in their dyed chicks so I ran down there and bought two chicks so the EF wouldn't be alone. Well the Fayoumis died and today one of the dyed chicks died. I have one left. [​IMG] I'm afraid to get more. I do have the heat lamp set up and he eats and drinks very well. He's also very playful. He's a bit loud when I dare place him back in his box. LOL

I actually like the pink too. I'm glad the dye is harmless. Well if he's a roo then I'll have 3 roos and 4 hens. I have a partially blind roo but he gets around very well. He'll hitch a ride on my feet sometimes but he has a hard time staying on when I decide to move. LOL

I am having fun tooling around this forum. There is so much info here. [​IMG]

Judy

8. 2ManyCritters

2ManyCritters New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Queen Creek, Az
    I just don't understand why she died! The chick in the above photo died this afternoon. I don't know what happened. She was so vital and goofy last night, hangin out with me and today she's gone. Just like that. All of them died in the same way. All 3 deceased chicks came from the same feed store. This is the first time I have ever lost chicks. I handled them the same way as my previous chicks. Could they have picked something up at the feed store? The surroundings weren't the cleanest in the world but wasn't horrible either. [​IMG]
    Judy

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Oh.. [​IMG] I'm so sorry your little chick died.

Were you keeping her under a heat lamp (at about 90 degrees)?
    I don't know how you kept the other chicks, but she may have had more trouble keeping warm at night, since she was alone - no body heat from other chicks. I'm thinking if the chicks had picked something up from the feedstore, there would have been some kind of signs of illness.

10. 2ManyCritters

2ManyCritters New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Queen Creek, Az
    Thank you.

I thought that too. The Egyptian Fayoumis was a little lethargic at the feed store due to her being alone. I bought the 2 dyed chicks so they could keep each other warm. They were in a box with a lamp. Maybe the lamp wasn't warm enough? The inside of my house is pretty warm. The chicks I raised 4 months ago were kept in the same conditions and they thrived and are just beautiful now. I'm thinking the EF had something and when I bought the 2 dyed chicks to keep her company they probably caught something from her. Strange, they all came from the same feed store. Maybe the EF was alone because she was sick. My husband felt sorry for her and so he bought her. I tried.
    Judy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by