My Easter Egger Cockerel bit and pecked me.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gigi1147, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    It will only do so if the other chickens are around. If I pick him up and carry him for like 15 minutes he loves me, and falls asleep. How can I make him nicer? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. omilona

omilona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    It only gets worse. They all go over to the dark side eventually....pretty much....

3. Gigi1147

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Okay.. Thanks!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are you serious when you asked for advice about reforming your cockerel? If so, there are things you can do to change this direction of behavior.

If he's in that adolescent period from five to eight months of age, his hormones are responsible for making him very nervous and fearful, especially if you are making sudden movements around the hens. Go back to what you were doing right before he bit you. The biting and pecking is usually because you've done something suddenly to make him feel you meant him or the hens harm.

You'll mostly get advice to "send him to freezer camp" or the stew pot, but if you really want a nice roo, there are things you can do to make him sweet. It takes a long time and you have to be dedicated to the project, but it is possible.

5. Gigi1147

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    How?

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I can tell you about my own experience, and maybe you will find it useful. I have a huge, twelve-pound Buff Brahma, named Penrod. He's three years old. Back when he was a young cockerel, he was rather high strung. After being painfully drilled on numerous occasions by his powerful beak, removing sizable plugs of my flesh, I figured out he was reacting to my sudden movements. Otherwise, like your EE roo, he was a sweet boy. He has never tried to flog me.

For starters, I carefully watched my movements around him. If I forgot, he would start to go for my flesh. I would then take him in a close hug and wrap my hand around his beak, talking to him softly. Repeatedly, during the day, I would hug him close. This is a variation on the routine of carrying an aggressive roo around under your arm to dominate him. It all goes to demonstrate to the roo that you are dominate, but he has no reason to fear you. It's worked out well for Penrod, and he no longer bites. He's as sweet a roo as anyone could want.

Now, Penrod has a new little son. Izzy is seven weeks old, and he's a terror. He appears to be as high-strung as Penrod once was. Izzy doesn't like being held, except after i make him accept it and settle down. I figure to get him to accept my dominance as early on as I can. When I pick him up and hold him, I make a point of NOT letting him go until after he quiets down and relaxes. This is crucial. If you let your roo go before he quiets down, he's going to feel as if he's the victor.

This all takes dedication. You need to do these things religiously. Start with monitoring your own behavior. Slow down. Make no sudden movements, especially around the hens. Handle your roo a lot, but be slow and gentle. This is opposite of what most people will tell you about training an aggressive roo. I've determined that handling a roo roughly only makes him more fearful and mistrusting, making the problem worse. With this method, all you can hope for is a roo so scared of you, he'll keep his distance.

I love my rooster, as I do all my chickens. I'd rather none of them are afraid of me. This method has worked well for me and my roo. I hope it can work for you.

7. Gigi1147

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Wow! Thanks! I will try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by