My Easter Egger's been spurred! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicknsRock, Dec 13, 2013.

1. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Hi, My EE Sylvia was just standing around like she didn't feel good so I caught her and she had blood on her wing! We found that she had been spurred so we put some iodine on the wound. That probably helped but is there anything else I can do? I don't know if that's her blood on her wing or a rooster's. I hope the wound is not mortal!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Coop Scoop Boogie

Coop Scoop Boogie Chillin' With My Peeps

The first thing you need to do is look for the wound. Make sure it is
    clean and if it isn't then clean it with warm water and a mild soap like
    Dawn. Once the wound is clean and dry then apply something like
    BluKote but NEVER use anything that is red colored. It would be hard
    to say how serious the wound is without pictures but most wing wounds
    are not serious. Good luck with your EE.

3. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013

4. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    * Hugh.* Sylvia is doing fine as frog's hair. Thanks for your help, i was just in a state of--panic.

5. LilRedRoo

LilRedRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Bremond, Texas
    When my RIR rooster was still immature (the pic of my avatar is him in his adolescence) he tried to mount one of our EE's and tried so hard to hold her down he completely skinned her; her entire back and right leg were exposed. She had already dust-bathed (perhaps to soothe the pain) by the time we found her. We let her heal up a couple of days before cleaning her up with peroxide, but she pulled through with no problems, and only missed about a week or less of laying eggs. They can be quite resilient it seems. Our EE's seem to be our hardiest girls so far.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. Gardner

Gardner New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    If you want to save your hens from the roosters barbs I have a fantastic trick - tried and true........

Take two potatoes and heat them in the microwave, until piping hot like a baked potato

Wrap them in tinfoil immediately

Catch your rooster and pierce the hot potato with his barb ( one on each) pushing it over the barb up to the skin in his leg.

Leave for 10 minutes,

Take off potatoes and immediately and gently twist the barb, it should twist off revealing the new, fleshy, little barb underneath!!

And voila!! Your hens will be free of injuries for some time - to no ill affect of mr rooster :)

7. Gardner

Gardner New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Oh I should mention leave the tinfoil on the potatoes while you do this and wear oven gloves as they are HOT

8. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    Um...Okay...But I don't want to hurt the roosters's legs...and I don't have a microwave.

9. HRoseC95

HRoseC95 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by