My Edblem goose Emily is laying eggs right now and seems to be getting ready to sit.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Texas Chickens, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Why is Emily laying eggs and making a nest in Dec?

It's winter time and they are according to everyone else suppose to start this towards Spring time when the weather is warmer?

Should I take her 3 eggs and hope she gets the message to stop and wait till Spring or leave her be?

There are 3 more geese that don't have this problem yet and hope they wait till the weather warms up next year.

We live in Southwest Texas where you never know what the weather will be from one week to the next. You can have the air conditioner on one week and the next week the heater. Does this affect her doing this so soon?

2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I would just leave her alone and see what she wants to do.

3. Yea I thought that too let her be ... Found out she has 4 eggs now and I put some pine shavings in beside the hollowed out spot she has them in and she and her mate David [they are the preppy's of the bunch] have been covering the eggs and arranging the shavings to form a nest. Don't have any straw/hay around to use that and saw that they were bringing things over and putting them on the eggs hence the pine shavings that I use in the chicken nests.

Thanks for answering me

4. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Your welcome, I hope you have some babies walking around in a few weeks.

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    In your part of the country mating season may have started. In the north we still have a month or two maybe three.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright you got lucky this year [​IMG]

Good luck I hope you get a good hatch [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by