1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My EE? from MM- boy or girl 6 weeks old now

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChicknLover, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ChicknLover

ChicknLover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Montello
    [​IMG]

Please help! Above is a picture of what I believe is an Easter Egger, but he/she is more errect and upright from the begining, and I fear it is a rooster. I got the Meat and Egg Combo from MM which comes with ten hens and I have identified all but one bird. This one I think I know the breed (EE?), but I am afraid it's a rooster! I sure would like to get green/blue eggs, as I recieved only one chick like this. If you breed a EE roo to another chicken what do you get?, probably better off getting hatching eggs, huh?

You know, I would change my user name if I could, I didn't know there were so many chicknlovers? Oh Well I guess we all love them don't we? [​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My initial guess would be a pullet. That is purely from the lack of wattles. A 6 week old boy should be starting some wattles.

An EE Roo that carries the blue Egg gene breed with a brown egg hen can throw a hen with the potential to lay shades of blue, green, pink, or brown eggs.

Matt

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My guess is an EE pullet. It has the greenish legs of the Amaracuana (sp?) and Auracana chickens. Her body, face and stance look alot like my biggest pullet. The EE's have a different body type than some of the other chickens, and a more erect carriage. One of the chicken wesites that shows breeds might be helpful.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    you should check out my post about my EE.....i wonder the same thing and 'it' has the brown splashes in the feathering too. The EE does not get a big comb or waddles so its hard to tell by that. I think by the comb on yours, its a hen. but mine did not start changing til 7 or 8 weeks as far as getting a bigger, redder comb than my girls. my post is called another hen or roo question.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Look at the comb, not just for pinkness, but for width/thickness. Do three rows of "peas" show or just one central ridge? Thicker combs from early on usually indicate a cockerel.

6. ashautcait

ashautcait New Egg

Jun 23, 2007
    Sure is pretty though!
    My neighbor has an EE and thought it was a pullet (because it was supposed to be) and it just started crowing. We don't see any wattles. :eek:)

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm leaning towards cockerel on this one. From my breeding, I have noticed pullets don't typically get the red wing bars, but boys do. Also, it is pretty pink in the comb for the age.

Jody

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hinkjc.....where were you when i was looking or help with mine. I think you just answered my post too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by