My EE hasn't laid in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bucolic beauty, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    My Easter Egger, who, at 3 years old has always been one of our champion layers at 3-5 eggs a week, decided to quit two weeks ago. I'm assuming she's stressed out for some unknown reason? It seems like anything and everything can stress out a chicken. [​IMG]

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    3 is a little old for a laying hen, she may just have layed all she is going to....bummer

3. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Pretty sure I've read they drop off slowly, over a few years, not go from 3 to 5 eggs a week to nothing all of a sudden, though I could be wrong. I read a chart (which I tried to find later and couldn't) showing laying over the life of a hen. At 5 years, they tend to lay about 50% of peak. So, if a hen was laying 6 eggs per week at 15 months, they should still be laying 3ish eggs at 5 years old.

Now, how this might be affected by breeding that increases laying early, I have no idea. But to me, it sounds like something (heat maybe?) stressed her out, and she's stopped laying temporarily.

4. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Thanks, guys. I'm sure the ducks or one the other hens looked at her wrong and stressed her out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by