1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My EE is insane

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MelB, Aug 8, 2010.

1. MelB

MelB In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    We have one EE and over last 2 weeks she is obsessed with trying to get into our garage. She is not afraid of anything or anyone who gets in her way (not even our 2 greyhounds who would love the chance to get her). It gets particularly worse right before she lays an egg (which she started doing last week). My thoughts are she wants to get in the garage to make a nest or something. I've actually come out into the garage (if the door was left open) and there she is on the stoop in front of the house door clucking like she's waiting to come inside. Any recommendations (before my husband finishes her off)?

2. NC29mom

NC29mom Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    How about build her a nesting box? Then she will have a place to lay an egg......

3. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Quote:My thoughts exactly. I think she's trying to go broody somewhere she feels is safe.

4. MelB

MelB In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    She has 3 nesting boxes to pick from in their coop - and will inevitably use them, but it doesn't seem to change her behavior.

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    What if you give her a rubber maide box on its side or something she may feel is away from all the other chickens that is "Safer". I would put it right near the garage or front door. Maybe she will be happier with that choice.

6. Swampwood

Swampwood Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Why is your husband going to finish her off is she to old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by