My EE laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rayne17, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Rayne17

Rayne17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    I thought they were going to lay blue or green eggs. So will this possibly change or once they lay brown, always brown? I have 8 EE hens and 2-3 are laying at 18 weeks. Just wondering if i will see pretty blue or green eggs.
    Thanks
    Rayne

2. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    No, some lay brown eggs. They are mixed breeds so no telling what color eggs till you get them!

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    EE's can lay any color eggs.If they are laying brown now they will always lay brown...sorry

4. Rayne17

Rayne17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Moxee WA.
    Thanks
    I guess there is a small chance that the other 5 EE hens may lay blue or green eggs. I love them all no matter what color there eggs are. I now check for eggs 4-5 times a day. Can you tell i,m a new chicken owner LOL. I have 12 hens and one giant roo.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I bought 3 easter eggers, but only 1 lays green eggs. The other 2 lay pink.

6. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I've heard the color of thier skin can tell the color of their eggs. My EEs that lay green eggs have dark green feet and legs...anyone know if this is true of all chickens?

7. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    when i got my EE it was to my understanding that i could get brown eggs one day and green the next. my EE are 6months but thats what the guy at the chicken store told me.

8. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I got 2 EE's so I could have blue or green eggs in my basket. They both have dark green legs and they both lay pink eggs. So, I guess I'll have to get some new chickens!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:No, that is incorrect. Skin or leg color has nothing to do with egg color at all.

10. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi there!!! congrats on your eggs.... what color legs do your girls have???? sometimes thats a hint to the color gene they have. good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by