My EE lays cream colored eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pequena Bandada, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I have two lovely Easter Eggers. They look almost identical, with brown bodies and the typical EE look. One has olive colored legs and a brown beard, and she lays beautiful green eggs. My other EE has greyish legs and a grey beard. She lays cream colored eggs. Is that weird? I thought EEers laid green, blue or olive eggs.

2. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    EE's can lay just about any colored egg! They're basically mutt chickens (I hate the way that sounds, but its true), so you never know what genes they're carrying.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    EE's can lay any color egg because they are a mix of various egg laying breeds. They are not a standardized breed. There is ameraucauna somewhere in their background hence the beards and muffs but they are mixed with who know what and some of them lost their ability to lay colored eggs along the way. The olive colored egg is because one of the birds in that birds background was a brown egg layer.

Lanae

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    What color eggs they lay will depend on what egg color gene they are carrying. It would depend on what is in the mix that made your EE's. I have to agree with someone else who said that EE's are like Christmas presents, all pretty and you just don't know what you are going to get! [​IMG]

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They can pretty much lay anywhere from white to brown to green, and I've even heard of pink. I had one that laid a blue green, one that laid an olive green, and one that laid an egg so light green it was almost white.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My only EE hen lays a cream brown egg. . . IF she ever lays one. [​IMG] Poor thing lays a HUUGE egg about once a month, and that's it. She goes in the nest every day, but nothing comes it. Sometimes goo comes out. She's a hatchery defect, really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by