My EE lays in weird places ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wendychicklawyr, Feb 21, 2014.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    My Ee lays wherever she feels the urge ( literally) like near the feed bowl or in the middle of the run..anyone else have this :confused:

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yes I find eggs just laying out middle of yard or just other random places.

3. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Wow lol what breed?

4. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    My chickens are newly laying but they are all over 34 weeks. Because it took so long for them to lay I started thinking they didn't like the nesting boxes in their coop so I put a bucket in the woodshed that was filled up most of the way with rocks and put hay on the top. Low and behold 4 of them lay in the nesting boxes even if they're out free ranging. Two of them prefer that bucket.

5. nihil

nihil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    My EE also lays in odd places.

She has laid a couple of eggs in the nesting boxes but recently (past 2-3 weeks) I find her eggs in the run (usually near the food).

She and her EE sister are on the bottom of the pecking order (they were added to the flock a month after the rest of the birds arrived) so I'm not sure if she's being kept out of the nesting boxes or if there's something else at work.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to encourage her to lay in the nesting boxes?

6. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Found a broken egg today in the middle of the coop omg lol

7. nihil

nihil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    As a follow up to the EE that was laying in the coop/run (anywhere but the nesting boxes).

I removed the plastic nesting box floor liner from one of the nesting boxes and put in pine shavings instead.

The next day the EE laid in the pine shaving nesting box. For the last 3 days she's laid in the pine shaving nesting box and has even scraped most of the pine shavings out of the nesting box. Not sure if she prefers the wood or if I'll have to keep putting pine shavings in.

8. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    I ve had better luck with hay too...they spread out to 3 places in the coop. I don't know what's going to happen now that I have 79 babies [​IMG]

9. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    It is always an Easter Egg hunt with my Easter Eggers. Everyone else tends to lay in the same area every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by