My EE not an EE? Funny egg..?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by havi, Mar 1, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Okay heres my dilemma. Last year I bought two EEs from a feed store. They looked like little chipmunks with their little muffs, green legs and everything! Well last year I seemed to get at least one green egg a day, sometimes two. They started molting sometime in Nov/Dec. Well come the end of Jan/Feb and here comes my green eggs again. Just not as often, maybe once a day, but normally everyother day. But I also had this extra egg I didnt know where it was coming from. I have two BOs as well as a RIR. The egg was a lite brownish kinda pinkish color. Well I know my RIR lays a darker brown(no pink) egg and my two BOs lay the pinkish brown ones. One BO was broody and the other was late and just now going into molt. I just passed it off as maybe the broody was still laying or something. [​IMG] Today I go into the coop to collect eggs and theres one of my EEs doing the egg laying dance. I pick her up real fast and there are NO eggs under her! NONE!!! So I thought I would wait around to see which EE lays on which day so I know which EE is behind. Low and behold the egg that comes out isnt even green!? [​IMG] [​IMG] And I mean I seen with my own eyes it come out so I know it wasnt already there and I just missed it kinda thing.

Whats going on? Is my EE not an EE? I didnt think it was possible that a chicken could lay two completly different color eggs? Something is going on. Because I know last year I would sometimes get two green eggs a day. And I have one of those nest where there is no possible way I could miss an egg. Its either there or its not. So what could be going on?

2. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Your sig line:

1 Araucana, 2 BOs, 1 RIR & 2 EEers

What color is the Araucana laying? An EE doesn't have to lay green eggs. Could it be that one of the green eggs was from the Araucana?​

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    While EEs typically lay a green/blue egg... they can also lay a pinkish brown egg, brown egg, yellowish brown egg or any other color really. It just depends on it's particular genetic makeup. Not all EEs are are made from blue egg/blue egg matings... sometimes other colors get in the mix [​IMG]

4. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:What color is the Araucana laying? An EE doesn't have to lay green eggs. Could it be that one of the green eggs was from the Araucana?

No the Araucana is a 4 month old roo. I hope he's not laying. It would be great if he was though. [​IMG]

But how does that explain my two green eggs a day last year?

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Is it possible that some days your one EE lays an egg LATE in the day that you don't get until the next day along with the new one?

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I belive that EE's can lay a pinkish looking egg

7. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:I mean for a couple of them yea, but not all the time. I always collect 2 times a day. Once in the morning before I go to work 5am and then when I get home in the afternoon 4pm. Sometimes I collect 3 times, I'll go back out and lock up the coop and there will be an extra one sometimes.

I know like on the Marans, people say they lay the darkest at the beginning of their lay and then it lightens up as they lay. And Im sure that after they are 2 yrs their eggs get even lighter. But is there anyway possible it could go from a light green to a light pinkish? I mean look at the double and triple yolkers..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by