1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My EE quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by project7030, Oct 20, 2011.

1. project7030

project7030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    South Central Montana
    My 7 month old EE has been laying for a month. Three days ago she just stopped. Shes healthy and active. I'm sure its probably normal, but why?

2. project7030

project7030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    South Central Montana
    Really?? No thoughts?

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    She's probably just taking a couple of days off.

4. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Chickens require 14 hours of light a day minimum to lay eggs . Where I live I dont get alot of lite because of the trees so all of my 10 hens have stopped laying for the year already and mine usually start up again around april. Alot of people put lights in there coop to increse the number of light hours and get eggs year round . But I am off the grid and have no electricity so I just go with out for a few months.

5. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    yea soemtime they stop for like 2 weeks then after that u will have eggs comin out of ur ears from her my hens have synchreosied themselkves some how but that 2 week period is like backed up by the other hens weird hey

6. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    Is she free range at all? Could she be hiding her eggs somewhere? Or worse yet could something be eating them? Usually when my Easter Egger skips a day or 2 I'll get 2 in one day.

7. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I would say the cool down in the weather. I was getting 6-8 a day until about 2 weeks ago when it started getting cold at night. Now I get 2-3 a day.

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    MY EE, Josephine, started laying in February. She laid an egg 3 x that month. Her last egg was laid on 2/11 and then she took a very long break and went back to laying on 3/21. ( I have kept a chart on my gals) She will lay steadily and then take a week off and start laying again. She has consistently done this so I haven't worried as much as I did in the beginning. Not sure if all EE's are like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My EE is my most regular layer. Six eggs a week like clockwork (until she started molting). When she first started laying eggs, she was a little irregular, but like most pullets, she layed all winter her first winter.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    My most reliable layer amongst my Easter Eggers has provided one green egg per day every single day since she started laying about two months ago, then *wham* she stopped laying. She's happy as can be, healthy... she just isn't producing anything. I thought she may have started hiding them around the property so I kept her in the coop and run for several days. Nada. Even though our coop is lighted and the hens have 14 hours of light per day their production has slowed down considerably. I'm hoping that Olivia, the EE I mentioned earlier, will begin to lay again soon. I miss her bright green eggs; they always have the richest dark, orange yolks. She's an excellent forager.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by