My EE rooster was doing the nasty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Does that mean my hen is getting ready to lay? [​IMG] She excepted him. She is 22 weeks and she is also an EE. I want eggs so much from her. Today I was outside and she jumped up on my shoulder. My DH said thats something you only see in the movies and I told him he needs to get on BYC's more. But anyways. I was hoping it meant she's getting ready. I know I read some people have EE's that are 30 weeks and still no eggs. [​IMG]

Isn't she pretty?

[​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    My roosters seem to be doing the deed way before any of the hens are old enough to lay.

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    My roo started going after one of my hens about 2-3 weeks before she started to lay. At first she was ticked about the whole ordeal, but she finally started giving in.

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

THis is the first week one of my pullets accepted the roos advances so I guess she may be getting ready to lay...the other 2 Pullets want NO part of it...

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Usually the roo's don't start doing the deed until the hens are mature enough to lay.

Give her a couple weeks, and I'm sure she'll be laying. Congrats!

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    My BO roo started his "advances" towards the ladies about 3 wks ago. They've not accepted his "advances" yet, in fact, one is so ticked afterward that if another hen is nearby, she'll go peck at her because she's so mad! A lot of the other hens will go running like mad to get away from him - they don't want any part of him...yet. It's pretty funny to watch actually. [​IMG] Yes ginbart, your girl is VERY pretty. I have 4 EE's that my DD is desperately wishing that at least one of them will lay a bluish color egg instead of all of them being green. We're [​IMG].

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

need to go to work. I'm late, dang BYC

8. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    I'm so glad you posted this thread!

My rooster has started "enamoring" the hens lately but I have to say, it is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen! LOL I feel so bad for the hen because he grabs her by the back of the neck and holds her down like that while he does his "business" which is 5-10 seconds at most. The she gets up like "What the heck just happened to me!?" He is targeting the "low"hen on the totem poll I noticed, too. The rooster is 25 weeks old and the hen is 23 weeks old.

P.S. Beautiful EE you have, by the way!

9. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    my EE just laid her first egg today and she is 27 weeks today..

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My roosters were [​IMG] my hens about 4 weeks before we got our first egg and one hen they were [​IMG] about 10 weeks before we got an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by