My EEs are attacking my Polish WCB Banties! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by operator16, Aug 12, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have 2 WCB Polish (bantams, I think) gals that are 20 weeks. We have 10 EEs that are 12 and 14 weeks. The EEs have seen the Polish birds their whole lives. They were rescued and were in bad shape initially, so I cut their poofs and cleaned up their heads and have painted them blue and ALL HAS BEEN WELL!! I've kept their poofs short and blue so that they'd heal, see what's up, and be able to protect themselves... The EEs are also so sweet and nice (except one grump one that doesn't like me), they all get along so well. Nobody has really been nasty.

Over the last month, I've let the poofs grow out and it's been beautiful to see their full, bobbing heads. However, this morning I see that one of the Polish gals has been picked on and there is blood and broken feathers on top of her head. So, here I go again, cutting, cleaning, and coloring. I decided to do both of them.

HOWEVER...... THIS IS DIFFERENT. ONCE DONE, THE OTHER BIRDS ARE COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT AND ARE ATTACKING THE POLISH CHICKS, PECKING THEIR HEADS, JUMPING ON THEIR HEADS AND BACKS!!!!!! They are acting like they don't know or recognize them. I'm so worried. They are the sweetest, most loving birds. They are so scared and are literally running in circles, squawking, and are so upset. I've just been able to gather them up and put them in the run and coop and lock them by themselves until I can figure out what to do. I believe that if I left them all alone, they'd kill the Polish gals in no time. They seem to have moved into pack mentality.

Please, please advise. I'm very worried.

I hope it's ok, but I've posted this also in the Polish section. If it's against protocol, I'm not sure and I'm sorry. I don't know what to do.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

2. chickletranch

chickletranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    There's really only one thing you can do, at this point. Keep them separated but in eyeshot of each other until the Polish hens are healed. We always introduce new birds by putting them in a pen within eyeshot of the others for at least a week. This gives the old birds a chance to check out the new ones without risk of injury. I don't like the colored sprays...I think they sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Better to use a disinfectant and antibiotic ointment and keep them separated until their wounds are healed and then try reintroducing them.

Best of Luck,
    Lynn

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for the note. I actually use food coloring applied with a q-tip. It's always worked. I'll follow your advice. Thank you!\\

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by