1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My EE's are laying BROWN EGGS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joedie, Dec 10, 2009.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 4 EE's and the first one began laying about a month ago, a beautiful mint green egg. That left only my Polish and the other 3 EE's who were not laying. Last week I started getting two little brown pullet eggs every day so must be from the other EE's as the Polish will lay white. [​IMG] BTW, they all have pea combs. I thought that increased the odds of colored eggs?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's the luck of the draw what color eggs EEs will lay.

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, sorry but EEs can lay just about any color egg depending on what kind of chicken the cross was made with. I have one little EE who's laying olive eggs and one who's laying pretty rose colored eggs, the rest all vary between tan and blue and green.

4. JP62

JP62 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Arcanum, Ohio
    We have 4 Americauna's from Meyer's Hatchery. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago and they are all brown just like all the rest. The kids are really disappointed since we have been telling them that they would be laying green eggs. I have never had EE's before so I thought maybe they would change as they got older but that probably isn't the case.

5. joedie

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:Nope, they won't change colors. What you see is what you get. BTW, if your Americaunas are from any hatchery, they are Easter Eggers. Hatcheries sell EE's as Americaunas.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well, since they are mixed you just never know. Sounds like demand so high for the EE they are just mixing brown egg layers now.

7. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I just found out my 2 ameraucanas are actually EEs - it's fine cuz we love them, BUT there's something that should be done with these hatcheries that are passing EEs off as Ameraucanas. What do you think?

8. joedie

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I agree!. Mine were sold as Americaunas at the feed store but I knew they were EE's before I bought them from reading this site. But the average person doesn't know this and this is very misleading. They shouldn't be allowed to sell them as such.

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Thats has been an issue with the pure club for years. They have made no lead way on it. Most say they are one of 3 and others call them rainbow layers. I only know of 1 hatchery that sells pure and it is black.

10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:Black?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by