My Egg Eating Splash BLRW

chickhopeful12

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
CT
Ok well here it is...I bought a beautiful BLRW from an auction and I thought she was too old to lay. Today my daughter is watching her in the run and she lays an egg and immediately turns around and starts to eat it. My daughter is screaming and crying at me about Biddy eating her own egg. I was disgusted with Biddy and jealous that my daughter was able to watch the egg laying process. I have always wanted to see an egg fall out of a chicken...I know that may sound weird, but it is true. So what do I do with this egg eating bird?? I love her, she is my million dollar auction chicken.

I am going to definitely give more oyster shell and see if she lays the same time tomorrow. Also I will try the golf balls in the nesting boxes, but what should I do if she lays in the run? I have only had her a week this coming Monday so maybe she doesn't know where the nesting boxes are?! I am at a loss...
he.gif

HELP...I don't want to give her up.
hit.gif

Thanks for all your help as always.

Blow out some eggs, fill with mustard and let her eat them. After a few of those she will be cured.

Also, there is nothing weird about wanting to see an egg fall out of a chicken. It is pretty cool. Come to think of it maybe we are weird.
wink.png

She may have been auctioned off because she is an egg eater. Other chickens can pick up that behavior. I had one, and did the golf balls, and it worked. You might want to throw a few in the pen as well.

Thanks Josey...glad I'm not the only weirdo!

I did think of that as well, her being auctioned off because she is an egg eater. I will definitely try the golf balls in the run as well.

Thanks for your feedback.
thumbsup.gif

I haven't had an egg eater, but I'd think pecking at golf balls would deter her. Just leave some in the nest boxes. And in the meantime, collect eggs A LOT! Don't give her the chance to teach others!

I'm going to put golf balls in the nesting boxes and the run since she laid her egg there. Not sure why she didn't use the nesting boxes. Maybe she is still getting use to the set up since I only had her since Monday.

Thanks guys!

A friend told me that egg eating was because of a sodium deficiency. She said she set a plate of salt down for her and it took care of the problem. Hope it works!

Back
Top Bottom