My egg got put in the FRIDGE! *sob*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missychicky, Jun 25, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I had 6 americana green eggs under my broody hen. When my mom went to get the brown eggs from under my broody that weren't fertilized she took on of my green eggs. -And put it in the FRIDGE! I found out later that day when I was getting a bedtime snack. What really upsets me is that egg was on day 19 and it looked healthy. I rushed it back under my broody as soon as I found out. Is there any chance at all that the egg might revive or have survived the fridge? It was in there for a couple off hours...

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If it was on Day 19 then I would say slim, but there is always a chance. These little things surprise you. I have heard stories of folks hearing peeps from the fridge because about to hatch eggs accidently got put in. These were folks I think I can trust, so you never know.

I had eggs collected twice and left uncovered for 6-7 hours each time in the house before I noticed the missing eggs. The standard cochin still hatched right on time.

Matt

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    there is always a chance, try but remember because of the cold spell that egg, if it hatches, will be a little later than the rest. and as a FYI, place your next broody in her own nest alone, like a tidy cat litter conatiner. it will help with the mix-up's

GOOD LUCK

4. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    You never know... I've seen eggs hatch that had been abandoned by their broody hen to the cold weather. Next thing you know, a random chick shows up and there's only one place it could have come from... Cross your fingers.

5. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    ok so how long should I wait until I give up on it? Day 23?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you said its under a broody, she will leave the nest 1 to 2 days after all hatch if its good she'll take care of it. if you want her to stay on the nest as long as possiable, stay away, that will be hard to do

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    The chances are slim, but best of luck to you and the eggs. Make sure your mom knows which eggs to take and which to leave next time!

8. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    One thing I do is mark my broody eggs with a black sharpie very boldly so there won't be any collected that need to stay in the nest. I put the date they are "set" on them.

I've had eggs hatch that have been chilled over night, so don't give up for at least one more day.

HenZ

9. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I found that chilled eggs have a better hatch rate if the temperature is much lower than room temperature since it causes the embryo to go into a suspended animation. This was always earlier on in the incubation so I could not tell you about if this works at late as the 19th day. The chick is pretty much fully developed by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by