My egg is starting to break how long should it take?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katness, Feb 18, 2009.

1. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I have one egg that I heard lastnight, it has been 24 hours since I heard it first. How much longer before it breaks out??

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What kind of egg ? What day are you on ?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If you just hear it peeping with no mark or crack on the egg shell yet then it could take another day to pip. Or it might pip now. Depends how long ago it actually broke through the membrane. After they break the egg shell they can still take another day to hatch. Mine started pipping this morning and I only have 2 chicks more than 12hrs later.

4. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    They are on day 22, it just broke though, I can see the beak, and face. They are Sultan banty..

5. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    ohmyLord I feel like a child at Easter here! I've got 3 piped now & I can hear them sporatically, but the drawing out of all this at the end is enough to give a person a full blown anxiety attack. LOL Akane I've been watching your video or cam and it's SO COOL but I think it's making me even more anxious for my own to move faster now. I swore when this started i wouldn't be obcessivly waiting for them all to just hatch, but boy it is tough....

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I figure anywhere between 6-36 hours from pip to hatch.

7. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i just had one take 48 hours after it pip to break out, man i thought it would never get out

8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    congrats on the hatching!

chicks can take up to three days to hatch. don't worry they have enough food to last them three days because they ate all that yolk in the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by