MY EGG SIZE IS CHANGING!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yopperchick, Nov 20, 2008.

1. yopperchick

yopperchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    My Maran eggs are getting bigger they started out at 60 g. & now are @ 90g. sooo cool .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:woot:yiipchick

2. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONGRADULATIONS!!

3. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I am jealouse. I am now getting no eggs(hardly any-one ever couple of days or so) but I gave the girls the winter off and they took it. Did not skip go. Wow, give them a little vacation and they check out. Now to get them into laying this spring. [​IMG]

4. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    How long did it take for them to get bigger. My only laying hen is laying more but still small. She has been layiing for about 4 weeks. This week she layed 5!

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    So are mine! They've been slowly increasing! A few weeks ago I was getting a lot of "peewee" eggs(40-45g), now I get mostly med to lg, with a few small and xlg thrown in. I have SSs, SLWs, BOs, and LBs.

My egg scale only goes to 71 grams, and that's the top of the xlg category. Marans must lay HUGE eggs! Congrats!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What a blessing.

I also would be interested to know how long they've been laying.

7. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I was thinking the opposite on my eggs. Some of them seem to be getting lighter in color and a little smaller. My 7 girls have slowed down just a little because of the weather. They have been laying since August.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  8. yopperchick

Nov 6, 2008
    [​IMG] My marans started laying there first eggs 11/3/08 @ 25 weeks. yesterday was the first jumbo egg. the 8 I got today we all 60-66 so far. I have abunch that lay in the afternoon I'll let you know if they lay monster eggs again. I tried to post pics. but can't they all say to large. how do I get them on here?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. yopperchick

Nov 6, 2008
    [​IMG] 1st double yolker [​IMG] it was my 90 g. egg hope for more this morning.

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:How much is that in lbs.? I weigh mine and some are 1/4 lb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by