My Egg!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChicagoDucks, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    This is my Rouen Egg on day 14. Laid on 2/17, hoping the little guy'll hatch on 3/16.

I collected 3 eggs that week for the incubator. 1 was infertile. And 1 had a blood ring on day 7, but probably because I got overanxious, it was very cold when I collected it from the coop, and it had a very tiny hairline crack (that I couldn't see until I candled it). I have some Campbell eggs on the way from Murray McMurry in late march.

This is my first hatch, and I am so very excited. I would love to see more photos of everybody else's eggs and hatchlings! I don't have a lot of experience with incubators, so photos of candled eggs, hatches everything else along the way would help me to know what to expect.

[​IMG]
    (ironically, my fire-hazard of a candeling box is made from a cardboard smoke detector box)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (ignore the hygrometer reading--it never worked right, so I use a wet bulb for humidity instead)

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hope you baby hatches for you!

I set 3 ancona eggs, and only 1 was fertile. Its got 10 days till hatch day. Hes doing pretty good!

Goodluck!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Neat looking incubator! I've never seen one like that before. That egg looks huge! Is it pale green or is it just the lighting? Good luck with your hatching!

Sharon

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Rouen eggs are pale green :)

Heres my khaki rouen cross egg. This one hatched a while ago though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4842689/album/6142540

Heres a few more pics!
    New baby duck! First baby I ever hatched! (rouen cross)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4842416/album/6142540
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4842382/album/6142540

I have no pic of my ancona egg sadly.

I also have 5 RIR chicken eggs, and 8 welsh harlequin duck eggs in my incubator. The chicken eggs are due tomorrow, and the welsh were set the other day. I have pilgrim geese eggs coming in tomorrow :D

5. ChicagoDucks

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks! My rouen lays pale greenish eggs that are about 10 or 15% bigger than a jumbo chicken egg from the store

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I think my baby is slightly ahead of yours. but will hatch around the same time. Maybe not lol. Will you be keeping the little guy? i will be keeping my little guy...

7. ChicagoDucks

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks for sharing the photos. the first time I candled an egg (just last week), I used a bright flashlight, and I did everything I had read about, but I couldn't see anything, and I didn't really didn't understand what I was seeing. An improvized candling box (with a 100 watt bulb) and a google search for "duck egg candling images" later, I at least could tell the difference between a blood vessel and a blood ring. It really helps to see a lot of pictures of what's supposed to happen (and what is not supposed to happen). I am sure that I am not going to understand what is going at hatch time until I've seen a bunch of hatches!,

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

If you want i will chat with you and stuff about it. get you are preped and ready for the the big day :) i hatched ducks once, and chickens once.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChicagoDucks

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    I am definitely keeping her or him after the hatch! The parents are good looking, funny and friendly fowl! Plus my flock is a little shy of the number I am looking for. I want to have about 4 or 5 girls and 1 or 2 boys. This little guy is a bit of a ginea pig to test my incubator and make sure it is dialed in for the campbell eggs that are coming next month.

10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I was hopeing to set more then 3 eggs, but my hen stopped laying. I planned on selling whatever hatched, but i fell in love with the little egg lol.

I;m a hatching freak just so you know. Thats why i have 5 chicken eggs, 7 duck, amd soon 3 geese eggs in :p

I love hatching eggs!

And if my flock ever starts i will be hatching alot more lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by