my eggs are a pain to peel. why?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by shawnkfl, Oct 21, 2009.

1. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    my hens finally started to lay. well, one has anyway. i got six eggs saved and decided to make egg salad for lunch tomorrow. being that the eggs are small size, i added a few store bought eggs. i boiled them and the store eggs peeled very easily. i get under the membrane and the shell just peels right off like an orange. my eggs though, are a pain! the shell comes off in little pieces and when i'm done, most of the egg is gone too from me pulling at the shell. why are they so hard to peel?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Now you're learning just how old those store bought eggs are and that fresh eggs do not peel well. I try to use eggs 2 weeks or older for hard boiling. But when you have to use fresh, add a little oil to your boiling water and they should peel easier for you.

3. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Your eggs are hard to peel because they're fresh and full, with very little wiggle room ( tight when boiled- no room between shell andegg)! Most of the "tricks" to make them easier to peel, sometimes work, sometimes don't. The best thing to do is use eggs that are a bit older for hard boiling-- some of the water inside will evaporate through the shell, leaving a slightly bigger air sac and some more wiggle room to peel!

Quote:

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If you want a good hardboiled egg, what you want to do is heat the WATER first, then once it is at a boil, put the eggs in, turn the heat off, and cover the pot. Let them sit for about... 15 minutes I think. Not sure on how long. But this always works for us.

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:This is the only way to easily peel them.

It has nothing to do with them being fresh.

6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    When I hard boil eggs here once their done, I drain off the hot water, add cool water and add a little vinegar. I usually don't have any problems with the shells not peeling off easily. [​IMG]

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:This is the only way to easily peel them.

It has nothing to do with them being fresh.

Thanks for providing that link!

8. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Salt in the water works for me but it does take a lot. We were having a hard time peeling quail eggs until I added salt to the water. They peeled so easy. It works with fresh chicken eggs too. I bring my water to a boil, add salt (4-5 TBS) then add eggs and cook for 10 mins, drain and put in cold water. Works every time. The salt does not absorb in the egg enough to taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by