My eggs are moving on the 21st day but not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tacoterry, Aug 6, 2008.

1. tacoterry

tacoterry New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    What should I do, today is the 21st day and my eggs have been moving like crazy, but no sign of a break in the egg. Help guys dont know what to do here, intervene?? I would rather not but if I have to

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I know it's hard but the best thing to do is nothing. If you decide to help and the chick is not ready, it will die. I found that out the hard way. If you pip the air cell without hearing peeps you risk drying out the membrane. So get a drink with a straw and sit on your hands, or just go to bed since they probably won't hatch till you aren't there. [​IMG] If your temps were a little low it could delay the hatch also. Good luck!
    Krista

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  3. tacoterry

tacoterry New Egg

Aug 6, 2008
    Thanks, how long could they live in the egg though?? When should I think about intervening?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    it's not until I hear peeping that I even "think" about doing anything. If I hear peeping for 8 hrs with no pip then I might make a small hole. I don't help a pip unless I see the chick gasping (long gasps with beak open, not opening regularly). I have lost chicks both ways, helping and not. I feel worse for the ones I caused their death by "helping". I helped a chick out becase it was pipped for almost 24hrs, it died because it hadn't absorbed it's yolk sac yet. It's a personal choice, but stuff happens and you learn. Good luck!
    Krista

5. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I am at that point myself. This is my first hatch, and I have one that pipped about 36+ hours ago, and nothing else, then i have one that has zipped and is peeping, but it isn't out after 24+ hours. Do you think they are okay? Is it time for me to help? I am so scared. I don't want to hurt them, but I don't want to stand around and let them die either.....

6. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Ok I know how hard it is. You will learn to recognise when a chick needs your help. Chicks do peep the day before they pip though- I suspect your temp is a little low and they will hatch in 22 days. This is my experience hatching many eggs:
    I have never had a chick die because it was unable to pip, if this is the case it probably has a serious beak deformity and perhaps your temperature is too high. Don't help it- you'll only have to put it out of its misery /: If it pips, but is unable to break the shell further, and you notice the white skin inside the shell is looking thick, opaque and rubbery, your humidity is too low and you should wait a day then help it out. Wait a day because it might only be paused while it absorbs it's yolk sack (the white sack has blood vessels in it until the yolk is absorbed). Don't try to raise the humidity drastically at this point- it wont help, and you could drown the rest of them. If your temperature is too low, it could take up to 23 days to hatch! Some chicks could be born with unabsorbed yolks, but overall your hatch will be ok, just late...don't help them out. Too high humidity will drown your chicks in the egg, you will see fluid oozing into the air sack when candling. Hmm thats all I can think of. Oh some breeds hatch a bit later than others (araucanas, cochins..probably others). Patience!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Yup mudderhen, help that pipped one out!

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yea leave em alone what is meant to be will be gooooooooood luck:fl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by