My eggs are not white???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bren1222, May 6, 2008.

1. Bren1222

Bren1222 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    I found this site a couple weeks ago and I love it. I find myself going through the topics several times a day and have had quite a few of my questions answered just by reading. I do have one question that I didn't see a topic on.

I am a new proud "mommy" to several new chicks. That part is going fine but, I purchased 3 hens from an auction a couple weeks ago just to have a few hens laying right now. They are (I think) Shaver Reds. They are laying fine, I get 3 eggs a day, but the eggs are not pure white. They have a grey tint to them. They taste fine they just don't look that pretty.

Is this normal or is this there something I am not doing right? I feed them laying feed and they get treats like oatmeal and fresh fruit once a day. We did just finish the run last weekend but they were in the coop for about 2 weeks before they were allowed outside. We have a pretty big puppy and I didn't want the puppy to hurt them so we waited until the run was done.

Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks a ton!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You mean the shell is greyish or the egg white is greyish? [​IMG]

Just wanted to edit to say, I am sooooooooo happy to find someone else who spells grey with an e instead of an a!!!!!

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  3. Bren1222

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    I am sorry, see I told you I was new to this chicken thing. [​IMG] The shells are greyish.

I have always spelled it greyish. But I do know most people it with an "a". But I am far from normal! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhh......whew. I was a bit worried about grey egg whites. Shells are many different colors, determined by the chicken, not what they eat. They should be just fine. Heck, most of us on here have an EE or two and eat GREEN eggs!!!! LOL

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It's normal for certain breeds or certain individual hens to lay different colored eggs. The eggs can be different shades too. White, grey, tan, brown, dark brown, tinted, blue, green, olive green, blue-green, pink, etc.

The egg shell is just the shell, different colors are normal. I have hens that lay gray eggs as well.

-Kim

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Do they have access to oyster shell? It hardens the eggs, I don't know if it can change the color, but they may have a deficiency.

I have no experience with this breed, that could just be the color they are supposed to lay.[​IMG]

I just looked it up, they are supposed to lay brown eggs. I'm stumped. Sorry.[​IMG]

7. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Maybe they are mixed with something else. I have some RIR that lay cream eggs.

8. Bren1222

May 6, 2008
    Iowa
    Wow! You are all great and FAST! Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I was scared I was doing something wrong.

I am not sure if they were bred with something else but they look like this breed. They are good chickens and seem to have a gentle personality.

I do give them oyster shells frequently.

This chicken thing is hard and lots of worry but I love it!

Now I have to get through the 37 chicks that I just received Monday!

Thank you!

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...just relax. You are doing fine. Aren't chickens so addictive!!! [​IMG]

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I really don't think I can add much to the advice given for you but one thing, cut back on the fruit. I know it seems good for them but I hear it can cut back on production. Once in a while is fine but not every day. Otherwise keep it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by