1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my eggs arw starting to hatch but there might be a problem!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by linz44, May 25, 2016.

1. linz44

linz44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    I woke up this morning and I have a pip on one that is not out yet and then I have another one that had a beam sticking out but no movement and no further breaking out. I don't know when it happened but it looks like quite a while ago. I'll post a pic. I don't know if it's normal for it to stick it's beam out and then have it look dried up around it with no movement or sound. I haven't touched it but it looks like an issue

2. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    Is this normal for it to look dried up around the hole and also for no movement? I noticed it at 5 am this morning and so far nothing else has happened.

3. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    How did it go? I had a couple guineas do that and then they gave up.

5. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    it was already dead. I had a feeling it was because it hasn't moved at all. I opened it up to see what happened and there was blood in the egg down by the air cell. In assuming he pipped through a vein that was still pumping. It was a shame to see the beautiful chick with nothing visibly wrong besides the blood.

6. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    Another one hatched right after the one that didn't make it and it's still hooked to the inside of the egg by a cord. Must be the umbilical type cord. I didn't help it out and haven't touched it. I was hoping the thing would fall off on its own but it hasn't yet. Has that happened to anyone else?

7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, I have cut the cord before. Cut it near the egg.

8. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Most of the time the chick will get it off its self.

9. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    So I ended up with the first one making a pip and dying and then next day one hatched perfectly and then one more the next day. Then nothing else. Its been 4 days since the last one hatched. I checked them with the light and no internal pips but the eggs are too dark to see much else. So I did water test and half the eggs sunk and half of them floated. Pretty much all my brown eggs sunk and all my green and blue eggs floated. They were the good low floaters but I didn't see any movement. Anyone have any suggestions on how much longer I should hold out on the floaters? I also saw a couple with huge air cells like half way up the side of the egg or more??

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    The float test won't tell you much unless the egg really moves around. And usually an egg that is a healthy mover should not be that much over due. The eggs that had the really big air cells sound like they were ready to hatch. When an egg gets ready the air cell grows dramatically and the membrane forms around the chick. This is normal and usually happens right before internal pip. I would open those eggs at the air cell end and see if any actually internally pipped. If you want to post some information on your incubator, the details of incubation (temps, humidity) and the eggs you used, I can try to help you trouble shoot what went wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by