my eggs hatched :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by da1goth2, Aug 27, 2014.

1. da1goth2

da1goth2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Hey everyone, i've posted a few times about the quail eggs i was incubating and last friday they hatched :) i just have the two chicks as i only incubated two eggs, i was amazed seen as all i had was a cardboard box and a light. I did have a couple of issues though mind as i stupidly assisted the 2nd egg and it was too early (never doing that again) but it was being shrink wrapped, i never thought it would survive after that. Then 2 days after hatching i was woken up by the big chick tweeting like mad and the bulb had blown in the brooder and the weaker chick was motionless and cold, i managed to revive it down my top though lol and now they are both just fine but omg what a stressfull few days it has been. Anyway after all that i was wondering is it normal for the chicks to peck eachother every now and then? The little chick likes to peck at the big chick as he sleeps and wakes him up quite alot.

2. da1goth2

da1goth2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Also i was wondering about the colour of the chicks, my roo is golden and the hen i got the eggs off is just the normal brown variety of quail and the two chicks are like most of the chicks i have seen with brown and yellow stripes, so they are going to be brown right?

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll peck at each other some if it gets too bad switch to a red colored lamp in the brooder.

If the goldens have enough recessive pharaoh bred back into them then some or all of the chicks (depending on genetics) will be pharaoh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by