My eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by L&Schickens, Dec 31, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have been having nothing but problems with my flock's living situation. First the buildings colapsed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then my birds were attacked my a varment of some kind, killing 4 and inluring 2 others.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the injured.
    [​IMG]

only 3 pigeons (Bermese Rollers) and one dove left.
    [​IMG]

And in all of this my Champion Welsummers have started to lay. You might think this is a good thing, but since ALL of my large birds are in one coop (The one the coon got into [​IMG] ) the Wellies are in with 3 other types of roos and Wellington, the Welsummer roo. My list for eggs keeps growing and I can't sell them. They may not be pure bred. [​IMG]
    Well, at least the eggs are pretty, and tasty too! [​IMG]

{My Wellie eggs with My Leghorn eggs}
    [​IMG]

{one Welsummer egg}
    [​IMG]

Wellie eggs
    [​IMG]

My Leghorn eggs
    [​IMG]

Wellie, Jaerhon, Leghorn, GLW (I only have one GLW hen)
    [​IMG]

My Leghorns and Norwegian Jaehorns (Slightly cream colored) eggs
    [​IMG]

My Jaehorns
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Very pretty I think you need some more coops though. I hope that you have a better new year with birds.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I hope the New Year brings big improvements for you. All of that sounds like a really miserable situation.

Those Wellie eggs ARE beautiful, BTW!

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hope your boy gets better!!*hugs*

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Wow, you have gone through a lot! The eggs are beautiful, I sure hope your injured birds recover. Good luck with your coops, part of mine is a tent garage from TSC and I live in a heavy snow area. I have to clear it every day but it has served me well so far. This is the second winter. Last year the snow totals were 12 feet.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Once you hit bottom, the only place to go is up. It's time to call some BYCers in your area and have a coop-raisin' party! [​IMG]

7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    I agree with The Chicken Lady! You need to have a backyard get together. Have Bar-B-Que on a smoker pit or Cold Cuts on a tray. Lumber, wire, nails tools and plenty of good friends to help. Being in snow country like you are, I would put a metal (tin) roof on the top and make it VERY steep so the snow would slide off easier. Just clean up enough to make do till spring, but start "talking" about the "chicken pen raising" you're going to have next Spring and all the good stuff you'll have to eat for the workers!

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    When it warms up and drys out, I might just send out a call for help. [​IMG]

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    It is so hard to take a good pictuer of eggs and show their true color. I think I will take more pictues of them out side and see haow that goes. [​IMG]

10. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

(I think snow is more of a rarity and rain more the norm in her area)

I'd still go with a pitched roof and possibly only on the shelter area with the remainder of the pen pitched with wire. My backyard neighbors and I took one of my chain link fence runs that used to be used for my dogs that has hollow aluminum pipe fittings that are pitched. I realized like you the tarps would not hold rain, so snow and ice are heavier and decided to throw chain link fence over the pitched roofing to keep ravens from entering and killing our birds. I think any type of fencing material would work as long as its pitched so the "elements" may pass thru.

We also put hardware cloth all around the bottom, how high depends on what you need to keep out. I was worried about wild fox so we put theirs about waist high. I haven't done my own with hardware cloth so far, but then I have very alert geese and hunting dogs. I have lost two birds, one to a raven as my pens are open and another bird flew out and my son's golden/springerx got that one.

Its disheartening, what you and your flocks have gone thru but when the going gets tough, the tough get going and I can tell you are one of those...and remember when you are thinking of and actually doing that long list of time consuming and labor intense work, which may drag on thru the entire summer, remember as I do, that "ants never sleep" and think of all they accomplish as small and insignificant as they may seem...you are not a quitter and you will be teaching that awesome young man of yours while giving him lifelong memories of his mother's accomplishments when the going did get tough. Big Hugs! Others will also learn by your improvements;) Its only a time to step back, reflect, improve and then enjoy!

(I saw in Fairbanks Craigslist where someone is trying to sell some Indian Fantails and some other beauties;) If they are in that harsh environment, they've got to be available elsewhere, when you're ready...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by