My elderly chicken is wasting away!

Am23

Hatching
Jul 19, 2022
I have an 8 year old hen who has stopped eating (mostly) and has thrown up white/clear mucus quite a few times after not eating or drinking anything. I thought maybe sour crop at first but there is no smell and her crop is not bulging more than normal. I’ve been getting as much food in her as I can and she seems like she wants to eat but she’s wasting away and hardly weighs anything now. Any ideas what this could be?

She also keeps lifting her head up high and throwing her neck around pretty dramatically like she’s trying to get food down or something but she will do it continually for like 5-10 minutes

That's quite elderly for a hen, she just might be reaching the end. What is her diet?
I give her layer feed and healthy dinner left overs. At the moment she only eats banana and corn in very small amounts on her own and I mix her feed with water and a little acv and syringe feed her. I’ve tried all her favorites but she’s only interested in bananas and corn

I give her layer feed and healthy dinner left overs. At the moment she only eats banana and corn in very small amounts on her own and I mix her feed with water and a little acv and syringe feed her. I’ve tried all her favorites but she’s only interested in bananas and corn
She could be suffering from nutrition deficiency, if she doesn't lay any more, she doesn't need the layer feed. Try to keep her exclusively on a formulated feed and cut out any scraps or treats. I know she likes them but they aren't good as a main staple.Hopefully she'll perk up soon, but she's getting up there.

She could be suffering from nutrition deficiency, if she doesn't lay any more, she doesn't need the layer feed. Try to keep her exclusively on a formulated feed and cut out any scraps or treats. I know she likes them but they aren't good as a main staple.Hopefully she'll perk up soon, but she's getting up there.
Thank you. I kept her on layer because she does pop out an egg every month or so lol she was never a regular layer. Do you have a feed you could recommend?

Back
Top Bottom